Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Scope

Search this Thread

Old April 15th, 2009, 7:40 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Scope

do you guys think a scope is worth paying for? (having a mechanic scope vehicle) Is it going to find my problem? what do they usually run
Old April 15th, 2009, 9:13 PM
CF Monarch

Received 27 Likes on 9 Posts

You mean a stethscope for pinpointing engine knocks?
Northern Tool & Equipment have them for less than 5 bucks.
Old April 15th, 2009, 9:25 PM
Super Moderator

no like a scanner that tells everything if its lean, what sensors are bad misfires. they call it putting your vehicle on the scope. it tells if timings off evrything and i was wondering if anyones got it done? im sick of throwing parts at it and just wonder if its worth the money you have to pay to get it done
Old April 16th, 2009, 7:10 AM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes you need to have someone who knows what they are doing look at the truck. Someone needs to scope the ignition system (though I still think you have a fuel delivery problem) and look at the emissions with a probe in the tail pipe. It is almost always less expensive to pay a QUALIFED TECH to diag. the problem then guess. Just because someone works on car for a living does not mean they know how to properly test for a performance problem. After the first two guys were wrong they should have re looked at it for free. If you can not find anyone who knows what they are doing then you may want to consider the dealer. Where are you located? Do you own a fuel pressure tester?
Old April 16th, 2009, 9:50 AM
CF Monarch

Received 27 Likes on 9 Posts

I picked one up cheap for $80 bucks at a swap meet. It has the freeze frame reader and the USB port with the computer software. Its a CAN brand, but its for OBDII only.
Here is one just like it on ebay for 65
CLICK HERE
Old April 16th, 2009, 7:25 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

That is only a scanner for codes and maybe data. A scope is a oscilloscope, it picks up the ignition pattern to look at the firing line
and kv. Also a 5 gas analyzer to look at the emissions. Our 5 gas analyzer was 13,000 dollars. And our oscilloscope with a 5 gas was over 20K
Old April 16th, 2009, 7:31 PM
Super Moderator

i found one on ebay for 500 its snap on my fuel pressure was messed up it had a leak but i fixed the leak and put a new fuel filter on it and now my fuel pressure is normal i found a mecahnic that will look at it for 40 bucks and tell me whats wrong with it(hopefully bad luck in the past) im from michigan
Old April 16th, 2009, 8:46 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

How fast does the fuel pressure drop when you turn off the key?
Old April 16th, 2009, 9:06 PM
Classifieds Moderator
TruckForums Liaison

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ahhh, The michigan card. I can never find a good mechanic, thats why around here, I do it myself or go to the dealer. It's pathetic, it really is. Our vet is having the same problem with his Ford. He took it to a mechanic and the mechanic said it would be done in two days. Three weeks later he still didnt have his truck back and was handed a bill for $3700. He called a tow truck and had them take the truck away and never paid them. Ridiculous
Old April 16th, 2009, 9:45 PM
Super Moderator

not right away... couple minutes.. this has been going on for a year could a fuel pump be the source? seams like it would of gone bad by now