Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Simple engine swap got complicated

Search this Thread

Old April 30th, 2014, 1:11 PM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Simple engine swap got complicated

Allright, I own a GMT-400 1999 K-1500 with a 5.7L Vortec V8 that was failing at the bottom end. Now, my time, knowledge and resources are limited so I figured I would get a cheap used motor, flop it in and sell what was left of my motor to some one who had the know how and resources to fix the thing. So I went out and bought a used motor cheap. Got it home and began working on extricating my motor.

Well, the motor I bought is an older TBI 5.7L motor. Figured my top end is fine, we'll swap the top and and all should be fine. We get my motor out and begin dissassembly of both motors. The whole time we are scouring this bought motor for a VIN or partial VIN, didn't find it. But with the casting numbers and the information I got when I bought the motor we've narrowed it down to 1990-1995 that came out of a GMT400 Pickup.

Half way through dissassembly my father in laws best friends kid calls him up and says "Stop right where you are at, that will never work those blocks are different. We just had this issue last week". My brother in law who was also helping on this project says "I don't see why that won't work, The block is the block. That's the same motor I had in my 98, which had the same block they have used for decades." Now I have two directly opposing opinions, so I talked to more people, these guys chevy enthusiasts, they should know their sht right. Four more people, same results. 50% say it will work, 50% say blocks are way different and will never work. so, here I am asking a pile of Chevy guys.

Which 50% of these people are correct? Can I convert this 90-95 TBI motor to the 96-02 sequential injection by swapping heads, intake and maybe a sensor or two?

My truck: 1999 Chevy K-1500 GMT-400
My motor: Chevy Vortec 5.7L
The intended replacement: Chevy TBI 5.7L

For the record, when searching the used motor for a VIN I checked all the spots google told me to look, I did not see any VIN nor did I see any grinder marks where one should be. Being an auto body tech I can spot grinding marks a mile away so, I am sure I'm just not seeing it. Also there were several other tidbits of information with both sides of the argument pertaining to sensors and coolent stuff, should it become necessary I throw that out. I honestly think these people who are telling me it won't work are confusing my truck for the 1999 GMT-800 Silverado.