Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Synthetic

Search this Thread

Old March 10th, 2008, 5:22 PM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Synthetic

I don't know why you'd have to wait for any certain mileage. My 2006 Corvette came from the factory with Mobil 1. I had always heard that you had to wait for the rings to seat in. But the Vette has never used any oil.
Old March 11th, 2008, 12:16 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If not for marketing reasons GM would factory fill and recommend synthetic oil on most all of its products, the Corvette, Cobalt SS Supercharged and upcoming Turbocharged version and also the new HHR SS all come factory filled with Mobil 1 5W-30 oil.

There is no question that synthetic oils out perform conventional oils across the board, they also allow an engine to break-in properly so you can switch over to synthetic as soon as you would like, all ILSAC grade GF4 synthetic oils exceed the requirements of GM’s new car warranty.
Old March 11th, 2008, 3:06 PM
CF Beginner

Mobile 1 after the second oil change or just over 6000 miles.
Old March 11th, 2008, 4:05 PM
CF Active Member

Red Ron,

Why change to synthetic oil?
Do you put a lot of miles on the truck in a short period and do not wantthe truck off line for oil changes.

I can see service trucks, police cars, etc: that you do not want to take out of service for general maintenance could benefit from the longer period you can go between oil changes.

My buddy has an old 350 chevy with 310K miles, he uses valvoline 10w40 and changes the oil about every 8K or when he gets the money.

If my chevy runs 310K I will be tired of it anyway and want something else.

I want that dirt and moisture out of my crankcase about every 5K. Ido not see benefit of paying extra for something I am going to drain out anyway in 5K.

Now if gas goes to $5 a gallon and a qt of oil is out of site, synthetic may be all the oil we can get,then I will change my point of view.

My Kawasaki dealer told my not to put synthetic oilin my 1500 Drifter as I only ride about 3-4K a year and change oileach spring.

Just my 2 cents!
Old March 11th, 2008, 5:16 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

There are differing perspectives on the use of synthetic oil and no right or wrong answer.
The average person that uses synthetic oil normally doesn’t keep his/her vehicle much beyond the original manufacturers warranty.
If you’re the thrifty sort and using the highest quality oil isn’t a concern and you don’t see any benefit to using synthetic oil then it would be a waste of money for you.
For the more analytical and/or performance oriented person the idea of using synthetic isn’t usually in attempt to get the engine to last for 300k+ miles, it is a mindset to use the highest quality products you can find whether it be purchasing motor oil, ketchup or an HDTV.
There is a reason that virtually every Indy, Nascar and NHRA race car uses synthetic not to mention all jet/turbine engine powered aircraft, motorcycles benefit from synthetic oils the same as any internal combustion engine you just want to use the proper weight and specific motorcycle oil that has no friction modifiers that could cause clutch slippage.

George Burns smoked his whole life and still lived to be very old (100 yrs), with this said I find little relevancy In the fact that an engine ran for over 310,000 miles on dino oil that was changed at 8,000 mile intervals.
Old March 13th, 2008, 12:53 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

From all I have read RP and Amsoil are the top two

you can get royal purplehere
http://www.partsamerica.com/BrandCat...px?MfrCode=ROP
at checkout enter closeout and it will only cost you 5.99/qt last time i checked
Firemans right on having some left over conventional on your first change however it is okay to mix,so I would not worry about changing that soon. I starteda thread on RP once after they emailed me if you want to get their opinion.
https://chevroletforum.com/m_59113/tm.htm