Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Old August 4th, 2015, 3:46 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:
Browse all: Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

theft-deterrent system HELP...

Search this Thread

Old November 28th, 2017, 10:56 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by twins225
i have a 2008 silverado. i just went to start it and the security anti-theft lock is armed on the truck. i can't start the truck at all. i called onstar to have them help me trouble shoot and they just told me to let it sit for 15 minutes and then try again with a spare key. that still didn't work. they say i have to have the truck towed to the dealer to have it reset. is there anything else i can do to get the truck to start????
Mine worked but I had to try it 3 times. 10 min each with 20 seconds off
Old June 15th, 2018, 4:27 PM
CF Beginner

Default Theft deterrent system

Originally Posted by gotstylez
try resetting it..unplug the battery for 15-30 mins then try again

do you need the key turned to the on position or anything else
Old June 24th, 2018, 2:03 PM
CF Beginner

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Chad Bone

do you need the key turned to the on position or anything else
i have found that disconnecting the battery didn't work for me. it might take repeating the process twice or 3 times. you have to leave the key in the on position for 10 min. and turn off then check if still on repeat and repeat again hope it will turn yours off. mine took 3 try.
i was told sometimes the transmitter goes bad and if this fix doesn't work then you might have to take it to dealer and diag. the problem and if need to be changed they have to reprogram it for you.

Last edited by knjkav; June 24th, 2018 at 2:06 PM.
Old September 22nd, 2018, 9:53 AM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my 2009 GMC 1500 wont start i removed my pass time tracker and re connected the wires it cranks but wont start i have removed the cables for 30 min then tried it still nothing I GETTING PISSED OFF NOW HELP
The following users liked this post:
Siberianchevy (December 4th, 2020)
Old January 16th, 2019, 8:46 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Cindy Routon Tyler
I left the lights on my car last night and battery is dead. I have messed with it so much I think I've done something to the theft deterrent system. I cannot get the keys out of the ignition (yes we tried wiggling the gear shift & the steering wheel, etc.) My key fob does not work, I've pushed those buttons. I cannot get to the battery as it is in that back end of my car & I can't get the hatchback to open up (it's locked). Anybody have any suggestions?
Cindy Routon Tyler did you ever figure out what it was
Old January 16th, 2019, 10:38 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by atex33
take off the positive and negative cables from the battery terminals. Hold them together (touching each other or on top of eachother) for 45-60 sec. Then hook the cables back up to the battery. Your truck should start after that. Supposedly, this resets something. The tow truck driver showed me this just before he towed me to the nearest shop! I could have got RIPPED OFF BAD!
what year is your truck
Old March 26th, 2019, 10:34 AM
CF Beginner

Default 2014 Silverado 1500 LT THEFT DETERENT /stabilitrack

The dealership says that the stabilitrak fix or update has already been applied to my truck yet today it gave me a loss of control warning while on the interstate . Also the past few days the truck won’t start due to anti theft . It says to have it serviced. How does one have the anti theft serviced and also is it true a loose battery cable can affect this ? I had both issues right after getting this truck about 6 months ago and nothing has happened since until 3 days ago now it’s happening everyday . If the recall didn’t take shouldn’t they have to try it again ?
Old September 1st, 2019, 12:03 PM
CF Beginner

Default Theft lock

Originally Posted by shawnvw
One thing to try is to close all the doors, lock is using the fob, and wait for 5 mins, then unlock using fob, and start with the key. If that doesn't work, then you have to bring it in
is there an aftermarket remote starter in it?
Mine has an aftermarket remote and as soon as i tried to pull it out it went into theft mode please help 2008 sierra
Old September 16th, 2019, 11:57 AM
CF Beginner

and if the light never goes out?