Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

They're adding up...

Search this Thread

Old February 6th, 2009, 8:52 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry They're adding up...

I couldn't have been happier when my truck hit 200,000 miles. I planned on keeping this truck forever. I always kept up w/ maintenance and it never let me down.

At 203,500 the tranny went out. Literally, while driving to work it went out and just started coating. The valves were in peces in the pan when it was inspected after that. The truck had always done fine, so I found an '04 tranny w/ 47K on it and put it in. $1,000 repair.

Then the engine started acting up. I change the oil every 2500 miles w/ 10W30 Valvoline Maxlife and a quart of lucas. Now it doesn't want to pump oil at idle when it's below freezing out. I replaced the oil sending unit and it fixed the problem right away. For some reason, the problem returned a short time later. Pumps fine on its own once up to full temp.

Puoring salt on the wound, my fuel guage quit working yesterday. COME ON!!! I know this is a common problem with EVERY CHEVY MADE IN THE LAST 10 YEARS, but it just had to happen now.

This truck has always been my dream truck, but now I'm with the other guy... my next will be a Toyota.

Total repairs between 160K to 200K = both front hub bearings, water pump twice, u-joints, rear end spider gear set, fuel pump, rear axle bearings, tranny service twice, and heater core clogs up every other year and I purge it out... can't afford the $900 replacement.

Anyone if its the fuel sending unit (and where that is) or the cluster that needs replaced for the fuel gauge to work again?
Old February 6th, 2009, 9:31 AM
Administrator

Received 45 Likes on 45 Posts

Welcome to the forum

The fuel gauge sending unit is located on the fuel pump in the tank, I can't say for sure because I don't know the year of your truck.
200k miles is a lot and getting the tranny to last that much is pretty decent.
A Chevy tranny will run you about $2400 one for a Toyota Tundra is about $4000

I'd read this article before plopping down funds on that Tundra, maybe a few dollars spent on the Chevy isn't so bad after all...

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/autom...ta_tundra.html

Last edited by in2pro; February 6th, 2009 at 9:32 AM. Reason: formatting
Old February 11th, 2009, 11:34 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

200,000 is pretty darn good man. I hope to get that out of mine. The parts you had to fix are pretty common to go at that mileage. Then again, a buddy of mine has an 06 2500 with 230,000 miles on it and he has replaced the battery. Good luck with the Toyota...