Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

TIMING OFF BAD!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old September 2nd, 2008, 4:47 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TIMING OFF BAD!!!!!!!

I did alot of work to my engine giving it new parts since everything one it was from 92. I got it all put back together and I have tried timing my truck twice now and to no suprise it's not right I have followed directions and took some advise from a friend and still haven't gotten it right. any help would be awesome. 92 silverado 5.7 TBI. the things I have tried is positioned the # 1 piston to TDC and adjusted the distributer acordinglythen ran truck to running temp shut off and hocked up the timing light and saw the marks alligned at 0 dgrees on the timing marks. I've done reseacrh reading various articles on what to do but nothing worked so far. Also the truck does not have the emissions control label that is supposed to be on the fan shroud so I don't know what my timing marks are supposed to be. one article said to disconnect a wire going to the distributer and time the engine and then plug it back in and discoonect the power to the comp for 60 seconds to clear the timing code or something to that measure. not sure if the would pertain to my year of silverado. this is my first attempt at timing a vehicle and really do not want to spendalot ofmoney to haveit timed. all the help I can get is much needed and appreciate. Thanks Damien.
Old September 2nd, 2008, 9:34 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: TIMING OFF BAD!!!!!!!

i have no doubt in your skill, friend, but 1st thing comes to my head: you sure you had it at right TDC? as 1st is in TDC twice, you know, once on exhaust and once on compression, and you need the 2nd one. it's easy rookie mistake.
you have a distributor, right? if so, are the gears aligned right on it? there's a gear that engages with camshaft, and tooth amiss screws up everything.
Old September 3rd, 2008, 4:31 AM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Default RE: TIMING OFF BAD!!!!!!!

Two problems I encountered in the past with this scenario was:
1) The entire damper which the timing mark is on is spun,try setting timing by ear.
2) The rotor inside the distributor is loose or broken; open up the distributor , and this problem becomes only too obvious.