Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Truck dogs when I step on it

Search this Thread

Old October 11th, 2009, 6:59 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Truck dogs when I step on it

97 Chev K1500 5.7
Newer motor (Gopher) with approx 25,000 on it. New plugs wires cap,etc when I installed the motor and I threw a new set of plugs fuel pump, and fuel filter in earlier this summer, along with cleaning the fuel tank while it was out. Doesn't matter if I'm taking off from a stop or cruisin at hiway speed, when I step on it the motor just bogs. Idle is good and it runs fine if I just drive "normal". Once the sun comes up I'm gonna go out and check fuel pressure, pull the plugs and check them, check the air filter.
Anything else I should be checking?
Thanks Guys!
Scooter
Old October 11th, 2009, 4:01 PM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Short answer: Most powerful engines do.(but only momentarily) They always have, but now with computerized fuel injection and torque management, they've not improved significantly, to be kind.

What's the lag time between when you slam 'er down and the HP starts hitting the ground?

Double-check your vacuum hoses and vacuum advance,timing, and pop the distributor cap and take a peek to make sure nothings cracked, carbon tracked or pitted. The rotor might be ******* you.
Old October 12th, 2009, 8:45 AM
CF Junior Member

It falls on it's face almost immediately. This just started happening in the last week, maybe 2. I ended up having to work over the weekend. I am gonna go out in the garge in a bit here and I will update on what I find.
Thanks!
Old October 27th, 2009, 8:19 PM
Professional Mechanic

check the fuel lines for any sort of abnormal bends or pinching. It sounds as if your have a fuel volume issue. Possibly a defective pump. If you can do a fuel volume test that should give you your answer. Another option is to unplug your Mass Airflow Sensor and try running it to see if your performance is better. Doing this allows the Map and other primary's to take over. If your performance is better you need a MAF
Old October 31st, 2009, 6:44 PM
CF Beginner

Check your fuel filter.
Old November 1st, 2009, 11:05 AM
CF Beginner

i had the same issue. i reffered to it as a "chug." id go to race someone or something and it would bog foor 2-4 secs. i had put a k&n intake on and changed fuel filter. problem went away.