Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Trying to fix my Air Conditioning

Search this Thread

Old July 27th, 2013, 3:32 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Screg
Tony, Just watched your video, looks like every time compressor comes on the refrig. gage wants to shoot right to the red zone, Too Much pressure, it's cutting off on high pressure protection switch. Blead off some pressure and see if compressor keeps running if not like I said before, sound like your filter drier is completely or almost stopped up with internal contaminates. That's what it's for. Sounds like it would be a good time to replace it. Make sure if decide to do that you should have a someone to recover the refrig. Good luck, Screg
Tony, gave you some bad numbers on the R134a numbers should read 90 degrees outside temperature should read in range of 250-270 PSI on gage pressure. Lot's of things can come to play like clutch fan not pulling enough air over condenser to convert highpressure gas to warm liquid for orfice tube or expansion valve to feed evaporator. If you see return line to compressor (suction side of compressor) sweating (not frosting) u probably have good charge and good airflow over evaporator. Sorry about the bad info. Screg.
Old July 30th, 2013, 10:52 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Screg
Tony, Just watched your video, looks like every time compressor comes on the refrig. gage wants to shoot right to the red zone, Too Much pressure, it's cutting off on high pressure protection switch. Blead off some pressure and see if compressor keeps running if not like I said before, sound like your filter drier is completely or almost stopped up with internal contaminates. That's what it's for. Sounds like it would be a good time to replace it. Make sure if decide to do that you should have a someone to recover the refrig. Good luck, Screg
thanks for the info screg. i did not try letting out any pressure, but i did buy a set of gauges today. mainly because i want to learn how to fix AC systems, or atleast diagnose them.

the low fluctuated between 20 and 50 PSI (-4 and 13 R134-A units.... not sure what the units are here)... see the video

the high fluctuated between 50 and 80 PSI (15 and 25 units??)
IMG_3075_zps6ef01872.mp4 Video by tonyvisone | Photobucket

not to complicate this thread, but i also tried the gauge on my families spare truck, a 98 tahoe 5.7L. it showed 0 PSI on low and high. but i noticed that the compressor wasnt engaging... i metered the plug going to the compressor and it showed about 45 mV with the ac on OR off..
Old August 1st, 2013, 8:47 AM
CF Junior Member

anybody?
Old August 2nd, 2013, 10:12 AM
CF Junior Member

Tony, your still low on freon. pressures relate to temperature, Find leak, find out how much freon your vehicle takes and add freon.
Old August 2nd, 2013, 7:15 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tony, watch new gauges video and see now you are low on refrigerant. As Edac stated follow the temperature/ pressure relationship on the chart he posted. Find out what outside temp(atmospheric temp) is, look at chart Edac provided find that outdoor temp and read across to right, it will give the proper PSI at this temperature. That's the PSI you should read on your new gauges, Evaporator/low pressure blue gauge, Condenser/high pressure red gauge. Your gauges are reading Centigrade, just disregard the C temps on your gauges and use the PSI reading. Then refer to the temperature/ pressure chart and let it do the work for you. It gives F temps relative to PSI pressures, these are the same pressures you're reading with your gauges just they do their temps in F. If you are loosing refrigerant then you have leak. Refrigerant gets very costly when you have to constantly add but worst than that if you do'nt keep enough refrigerant in the system you can't cool compressor properly. When charged right it should sweat a bit on suction side of compressor hose aluminum connector. You can look for leaks the old timey way with leak tech solution or make some out of dish washing solution and water. Add refrigerant so compressor runs to pressure system for a few minutes that shut motor off and system will nuetralize pressure over intire low and high side. Spray soap solution over all line connections and condenser just keep looking or have someone with refrigerant sniffer hunt that leak down. Could be something simple like o-rings at liquid line, condenser lines, or manifold o-rings at compressor. Hope this helps Screg.
Old August 23rd, 2013, 11:24 PM
CF Junior Member

update

still havent fixed this, or properly diagnosed. i did a few brake projects on the truck (all pads, e brake adjust, abs sensor fix, a few brake lines, and sway bar links).

so i brought the truck down to a local guy. he has an 01 silverado (mines a 99).

his AC works good and his readings were: Low: 45 and High: 300. both were steady values...

mine on the other hand (after we added some freon) was: Low: 20-75 and High: 90-105, both fluctuating....

it seems my low is too high and my high is too low?? does that mean something specific?
Old August 26th, 2013, 7:32 PM
CF Junior Member

anybody??
Old September 13th, 2013, 7:22 PM
CF Junior Member

still looking for help on this..........

to reiterate so you dont have to read back....

99 silverado 5.3L

Low: 20-75 psi and High: 90-105 psi, both fluctuating when the compressor engages..... see video above (okay i guess you do have to go back if you want to see the video) it seems my low is too high and my high is too low?? does that mean something specific?

also, i have a 98 tahoe 5.7L and the compressor plug only gets about 50 mV whether the AC switch is on or off....
Old September 13th, 2013, 10:56 PM
Administrator

Received 45 Likes on 45 Posts

I am having similar issues on a caravan, and its my understanding that the compressor is going out when you see those numbers... have you ever charged it with Freon? if so did you use a full gauge set of gauges or a single gauge?

Give this site a read and see if it helps.. http://www.agcoauto.com/content/news/p2_articleid/257

Last edited by in2pro; September 13th, 2013 at 10:59 PM.
Old September 14th, 2013, 10:34 AM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by in2pro
I am having similar issues on a caravan, and its my understanding that the compressor is going out when you see those numbers... have you ever charged it with Freon? if so did you use a full gauge set of gauges or a single gauge?

Give this site a read and see if it helps.. AGCO Automotive Repair Service - Baton Rouge, LA - Detailed Auto Topics - Automotive Air Conditioner Problems, Part II
i have put freon in, and i have used a set of dual gauges... the compressor is probably going, just looking to confirm this i guess..

as for the tahoe, im thinking to try putting wires from the battery with a toggle switch, but still looking for an answer on that as well