Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

turbo or supercharger

Search this Thread

Old April 13th, 2009, 7:27 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default turbo or supercharger

what would be best for my stock 2000 silverado 1500 turbo or supercharger.
Old April 13th, 2009, 8:17 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

supercharger would be better!!
Old April 13th, 2009, 9:15 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Supercharger uses power to make power but you can find them easily all day long. Turbo uses no power to make power. Super charger makes power always punch the gas and it is ready to go. You have to wait for the turbo to spool up.
Old April 13th, 2009, 9:53 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i would go with a supercharger
Old April 14th, 2009, 10:31 AM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For a vehicle with stock internals, I say keep the boost low, or you will wish you had forged internals. The choice of turbo or supercharger is all preference. They each have their own pros and cons. Do some research on both and figure out which one suits what you want. I'm more of a turbo person.
Old April 14th, 2009, 11:38 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

when i get around to it im going with a 355 block all forged innerds and procharger. i know the stock 5.7 coupled with a vortech supercharger(procharger) it goes from a base of 290 and 325 tq to 350 some hp and over 430 tq at 7 pounds boost and you dont have to change anything. its a slap on system an boom. i was going to run a sts kit but decided when i do the full build my aux. battery goin in the bed and its gettin a clean *** motor an i want to hit at least 400 hp and more in tq. just my two cents. but yeah. honestly turbo you get a lot of heat supercharger takes to give but procharger seems a good advantage especially since you dont need to tap into the oil system like a turbo and so on. hope that helps.
Old April 14th, 2009, 3:36 PM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Here's a voice from the cheap seats which might save you a passel of dough and ag. Have you tried a CAI? Most sell for less than 275$ bolt on in less than 2 hours, and give you a nice bump in usable power...

...but what do I know? Some obviously insane voice in the back of my head keeps telling me that, somehow, 300+ horsepower is enough...
Old April 14th, 2009, 3:48 PM
CF Monarch

Received 27 Likes on 9 Posts

Supercharger would be better. Torbo would be good, but you would have to buy manifolds.
Old April 15th, 2009, 10:17 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well... 300+ is fair... but i like powuh plus im young and i have an addiction problem. i go to the H.A or horsepowuh anonymous.
Old April 15th, 2009, 10:47 AM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

The only proven cure is to survive a couple of fatal crashes, unfortunately.

At some point, you'll wake up, stick you head up, look around, and start to closely observe WHERE all these people, in a rush, driving like maniacs around you are going. Take a close look. WaWa, WalMart, the gas station,the dentist,the dollar store. I've yet to see one on the way to help the X-MEN or the crew of the Star Trek Enterprise repair a rip in the space-time continuem.

But it's also a thing you have to live through yourself.

Your truck is so much more than just a drivetrain with some wheels attached to it.
You've got seats in that truck which a are more comfortable than a throne.
A sound system just for you.
A climate-control system at your fingertips. What's the rush? Are you going somewhere where you'll be more comfortable? Tell me where that is, I want to go there, too.

Last edited by therewolf; April 15th, 2009 at 10:54 AM.

Quick Reply: turbo or supercharger