Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Vortec 4.3 buildup

Search this Thread

Old December 1st, 2007, 9:54 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: Vortec 4.3 buildup

ORIGINAL: hines182

Ok... so my list goes like this now..

-6" lift and 35" tires (and no taller tires until i do a solid front axle swap and everything that entails)
-4.88 or slightly higher gears to compensate
-Beefier axleshafts and driveshaft components

I still think it wouldnt' hurt to build on the 4.3 a little bit when i can afford it, though. I tow a boat in the summer (whether or not u think i oughta is a whole nother controversial subject) and it's nice to be able to hitch up the car trailer and rescue my little sis when her car breaks down (AGAIN!). You know, I'm starting to think the Silverado shoulda been offered with a straight-six for a little more torque.. But anyway.. i think then i'd have a nice rig to pick up a date in and still be able to go tear it up on weekends. Or.... when I'm lucky, do both at the same time! Thanks for the help fellas, the 4.3 stays! .......for now.. haha
for more torqu yougo forthe V8..the boat you prolly could tow, but your sister car and trailor...you gonna hurt your tranny..........you wont need axle shafts and the like with 35s, just be easy on he skinny peddel dont be an off road noob.....and a SOLID front axle swap is not an easy thing on a GM..and for all you get in strength, its not really worth it, but everyone has an opinion right!

....THE biggest advantage to a sloid front axle swap would be you could go higher, as IFS limits you in how high you can go, but guys here are running 38s, 42s, on IFS.......
Old December 1st, 2007, 1:42 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah I'm just gonna keep it pretty simple for now, just new gears, a lift and some bigger tires. i don't plan to upgrade the axle-shafts til they snap. Yeah, the car trailer thing is no easy task, i kept it in 3rd and on the backroads most of the way and only went into 4th when cruising on level or down grades and accelerated real easy.. and I definitely don't plan to do that often, I've only had to do it once so far but you never know. Anyways, I think it's off to the dealership for a build sheet for me!
Old December 3rd, 2007, 10:47 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

one thing to consider instead of a engine swap is to Supercharge your 4.3, this will keep you mostly factory, and cheaper and easier as well, as it works with your computer and all, just some reprogramming, and you will have to upgrade fuel system.....but still cheaper, andit willgive you up to say 60-100hp, depending on how many PSI you go...and as opposed to Turbo, no lag, however Turbos of today dont spool up like hte old ones I used to play with almost as good as a SC, Turbos will make more power tho from smaller engines usually....but Turbos are more complicated to install and maintain as well, and more expensive usually.

anyhow food for thought,
Old December 17th, 2007, 6:54 PM
CF Beginner

If you have a low enough gear ratio you can stick with the 4.3. I have a buddy who has a 4 cylinder engine in a jeep who had it geared low enough he was able to pull a Hummer (H1) out of a mud hole with no trouble at all. Granted that engine didn't have the most torque or Hp but with the right amout of gear reduction that thing was almost unstoppable. But.... Driving around town in that thing sucked.
Old December 18th, 2007, 7:46 AM
CF Junior Member

Maybe 4.10s, a 5.7 V8 and a shiftkit and additional transmission cooler. That will get you farther than you think. After that you won't have to worry about it as it will give you the towing, daily driving and off road capabilities that your looking for. If your hardcore into 4wheeling, beef up the half shafts, get U-joints with zerk fittings too (that helps push water and mud out of them in case they get loaded up, I haven't had this but I've seen it happen). The drive shafts should be ok unless you are pushing some serious hp and torque.