Sonic (Aveo) The subcompact known globally as the Aveo since 2002 is now the SONIC in North America as of the 2012 model

Chevrolet Sonic
GM Platform: T200, T250, T300

Add Air Conditioning???????

Search this Thread

Old April 13th, 2017, 10:08 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Add Air Conditioning???????

Hi,

I just bought a used 2010 Aveo. Manual transmission but no air conditioning. I know, crazy right? Well, I was looking in the manual and the climate controls I have match the ones for a model that comes with air conditioning, but there is a "place holder" for the A/C button.

Could I take it to a Chevy dealer (or can someone suggest a reputable shop) and have this installed. I now it's not cheap, but the car has only 61,000 miles on it and I plan to have it for at least 60,000 more. I'm in the Philadelphia area, if that helps.
Old April 13th, 2017, 11:25 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

forget it...the retrofit cost would be outrageous.
price out this:
a/c lines, condenser, thermal expansion valve, reciever drier, evaporator, compressor, compressor mounting brackets, new drive belt, dash switches, wiring harness for compressor and hvac controls, refrigerant, compressor oil, possibly a new hvac case and ecm reprogramming
then add labour time to remove the dash, front bumper and install all the listed parts.
cheaper to trade the car in for one equipped with a/c

just my opinion, but if you must...quote it out and post the final tally.