Sonic (Aveo) The subcompact known globally as the Aveo since 2002 is now the SONIC in North America as of the 2012 model

Chevrolet Sonic
GM Platform: T200, T250, T300

ABS and Brake Lights…and Alarm...

Search this Thread

Old July 21st, 2017, 5:06 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ABS and Brake Lights…and Alarm...

I’ve got a 2012 Sonic Manual, and the ABS & Brake Lights will randomly and frequently light up, accompanied by what is becoming a very annoying alarm.

I’m told this usually means that the brake fluid levels are low, but in this instance they are not. The next diagnosis appears to be a bad brake level sensor. But in this instance, it is not. The dealership replaced the sensor back in September, and then I took it to a local mechanic earlier this month—who did the same thing—and today when I brought it back to the (same) dealership they informed me that my brake levels are good, so it must be my brake level sensor, and they asked me if I wanted to have the part ordered.

Taking ANY other suggestions. The dealership also missed a faulty coolant sensor which caused the car not to start—very inconvenient. That was replaced in February.

(I know how this sounds, but if there are any suggestions or tips on just removing the alarm, that would be great too. The random, loud peeping is taking a toll on me.)

Last edited by sharring; July 21st, 2017 at 5:13 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old September 29th, 2017, 10:34 PM
CF Active Member

So , you are not loosing brake fluid ?

Does it have a good , solid " petal "? Does it stay solid or does it ease down ?

Not too far down to the floor ?

Wondering if you have a problem with an ABS sensor ? With the ABS " module " ? No idea how to check it ?

Wyr
God bless
Old October 3rd, 2017, 3:04 PM
CF Beginner

Hi,

I’m not losing brake fluid, and the brake pedal is solid (no surprise depressings or irregularities using the brake pedal).

I took her in to a (different) Chevrolet dealership over the summer under the advice that it might be electrical—namely, a small crack in the electrical box, or a poor connection of some sort to the ABS sensor. The mechanics there told me that it was a stripping issue: apparently the weather stripping on the wires was gone, and the wire just sat in its receiving counterpart without any hold, hence the light coming on and off again randomly. They fixed it, and 3-4 weeks later, the alarm started sounding randomly once more. So, if that was in fact the case, it was not a very effective solution.

Given that two other shops who both replaced the ABS sensor said nothing about the lack of striping or the sensitivity of the connection, and that weathering the wires cost me $175, I’m probably going to just live with the alarm coming on and off again, instead of risking another erroneous “fix.”

(But seriously—any tips on removing that alarm…the mechanics keep brushing that idea off, but since they never seem to fix the problem either, I’m very much willing.)