Sonic (Aveo) The subcompact known globally as the Aveo since 2002 is now the SONIC in North America as of the 2012 model

Chevrolet Sonic
GM Platform: T200, T250, T300

Engine Toubles

Search this Thread

Old December 20th, 2005, 10:58 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Toubles

I have an '04 Aveo with close to 29,000 miles on it. I now have taken it in three times in the past two weeks for the engine light being on. First, they told me it was the fuel injectors that needed to be cleaned and that it wasn't under warranty past 24,000. So I paid for that and about four days later the check engine light was back on and the car was running poorly, sluggish and trouble going uphills. They took it back and said it was a wire in a spark plug that needed replacement and that the fuel injectors needed to be cleaned again. Two days after getting it back the check engine light was on again and the car was shaking (even in park). They said this time it was the engine valves getting stuck in because of the cold. </P>

While this sounds like a good theory, the last time the light came on and when the car was shaking, was after it had been driven for about 20 minutes. </P>

Is anyone else having problems like this? I've also had several strange electrical problems with the car. I'm not sure this is the cause of my problem, but who knows.</P>
Old December 20th, 2005, 4:04 PM
Administrator

Default Engine Toubles

i would tell them that it is garbage that they misdiagnosed it the first time!
Old January 30th, 2006, 7:46 AM
CF Beginner

Default RE: Engine Toubles

There is a recall to replace valves that are not seating properly on 2004 models up to a certain VIN number. Search for it under "recalls."

Also, the Aveo has a 60K mile warranty on the drivetrain. Engine repairs should be covered except for fluids and filters.
Old August 11th, 2007, 2:08 AM
CF Beginner

Default RE: Engine Toubles

My experience withsmall Chev cars, Geo and Aveo, tells me the Check Eng light can light up for many reasons, including,

- Being bumped from behind on the rear bumper (actually happened to me on the Geo Prizm)
- Slightly clogged oil filter after driving on unpaved desert roads. Problem reset itself after overnight rest.
- Low oil level in engine. If you have 1 quart or less oil, the Check light will light up. Put some oil in it. Turn off engine, and let it sit and cool overnight. In the morning, if the Check light lit up due to the low oil level, it will reset itself and turn off.

Good luck.