Sonic (Aveo) The subcompact known globally as the Aveo since 2002 is now the SONIC in North America as of the 2012 model

Chevrolet Sonic
GM Platform: T200, T250, T300

Thermostat problems (P0597)

Search this Thread

Old March 18th, 2018, 10:15 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just bought my college daughter a 2012 Cruze. The engine light came on and I got the P0597 code. Sounds like I should just go ahead and change the thermostat, right?
Old April 29th, 2018, 6:43 PM
CF Beginner

Angry Just here to share my experience with this in hopes to save others possible trouble

I've owned a 2012 Chevy Cruze since it was new, I have owned 5 Chevy vehicles and have had a pretty good experience with them until my Cruze. I bought it because I wanted something reliable and good on gas. In Februaary I got the dreaded P0597 code so I scanned my car and figured out it was the heater circuit error, my car was like 3 days out of the powertrain warranty and only had about 43k on it so I decided to contact GM and see if by chance they would cover fixing it. They told me that I had to take it to a dealer to get it diagnosed and then we would go from there, I had told them I pulled the code and what it was but still they wanted a dealer to have a look at it. So I had them set up an appointmnet at a delaer near me and brought it in. They came to same conclusion I did and charged me $166 to diagnose it which I wasn't expecting, since this was at GM's request I figured I wouldn't be charged for it, and my contact person at GM then informed me that they wouldn't cover the repair, which would have cost me another $321 if I wanted them to fix it. Now I'm a shadetree mechanic and perfectly capable of fixing this myself, which I would have done had they ust told me right away that that part wasn't covered and I assumed that since they needed the diagnosis and I didn't (I already knew what was at fault) that they wouldn't have charged me for the diagnostic. Had they told me that it would cost me $166 to figure out if they were going to replace a $50 part well I probably wouldn't have taken that gamble and just bought the part and taken care of it myself, so now I've ordered the part and will be fixing it this week. Hopefully if anyone else here finds themselves in a similar situation, just buy the thermostat and fix it yourself, assuming you can do that.
Old May 27th, 2018, 8:55 PM
CF Beginner

Default My engine fan won’t turn off

my check engine light came on around 75k and my fan use to cut in and off but now it won’t go off at all I just reached 100k and now it’s telling me to change the timing belt but that’s not my concern. Got my car checked out with a diagnostic reader and it says it’s my thermostat but there’s nothing wrong with the thermostat when you look at it. We changed the fuse, and something else on it, the fan went off for about 3 minutes and can’t right back on. When I bought my car it had 43k on it and drove like it was brand new!! Kinda wishing I didn’t get the Cruze now.
Old June 4th, 2018, 9:22 AM
CF Beginner

Default P0597

Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Service
Sorry to hear about your daughter's Sonic, rclksr. If you'd like to PM us her VIN, mileage, contact information and dealership we can explore some additional options on her behalf.

Amber N.
Chevrolet Customer Care
i got the same P0597 on my daughters 2013 sonic car has less than 33k miles. I called the dealer, they wouldn’t tell me if it’s covered in the powertrain. Just wanted me to bring it in to charge me for a diagnostic. Seems like customers service is non-existent, just trying to find ways to keep adding up the charges. Kept going back and forth with them. I like Chevy but I’m very frustrated with them at this point.
Old August 7th, 2018, 6:49 AM
CF Beginner

I am having this problem rn with my sonic 2015, the car is at 56000+ miles and I just had my oil change and check up in June and nothing of that sort came up. It’s just over a year ago that I got the car and now to already be dealing with this thermostat situation is just frustrating and the fact that all they’re going to tell me is that my warranty is up (June) is even more frustrating. Does anybody know which is cheaper, to bring the car to the dealership or a different mechanic?
Old August 8th, 2018, 3:42 AM
CF Active Member

Originally Posted by mimi vital
I am having this problem rn with my sonic 2015, the car is at 56000+ miles and I just had my oil change and check up in June and nothing of that sort came up. It’s just over a year ago that I got the car and now to already be dealing with this thermostat situation is just frustrating and the fact that all they’re going to tell me is that my warranty is up (June) is even more frustrating. Does anybody know which is cheaper, to bring the car to the dealership or a different mechanic?
A little disheartening . We have a 2015 Sonic 1.8l automatic . With close to the same miles on it as yours .

I had hoped GM had fixed / solved this issue by 2015 .

If / when ours has this problem , I hope / plan to DIY it . No way I would take it to a dealer , unless it was under warranty . And I figure they would weasel out some ow . If GM covers yours under the power train warranty , please let us know .

Best of luck to you .

Thanks , :-)
Wyr
God bless

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...r+outlet,10337
Old August 30th, 2018, 3:29 AM
CF Beginner

I have a Sonic 2013 1.8L. Check engine light came on at around 70k miles. It threw the P0597 code. Decided to change the thermostat with housing just to get everything new and hopefully no new issues for a while (plus it didn't hurt that the whole thing costs only about 40 dollars online). After putting everything back, the engine harness connector (throttle body inlet hose) keeps leaking radiator fluid (connect (1) on the image). Any ideas why that's happening?

Last edited by 6682daniel; August 30th, 2018 at 8:05 AM.
Old October 4th, 2018, 2:43 PM
CF Beginner

Default 2014 Cruze with P0597 code

My check engine light has been intermittently coming on for the past 3 months. Today I stopped by Advanced Auto Parts and they hooked up their scanner to my car and advised that my car was returning a P0597 code.
"Thermostat Heater Control Circuit/Open". I called Chevrolet customer service after reading the many posts from other Cruze/Sonic owners who have experienced the same issue. I was told by Chevrolet's customer service rep "Steph" that in order to determine what is wrong with my car, I need to take it to a Chevrolet dealer and pay them to diagnose the problem. I politely advised Steph that I should not have to pay my local Chevrolet dealer $165. 00 for them to attach their scanner and tell me that the Thermostat /Housing Unit needs to be replaced at XXX amount because my Cruze has 55k miles on it and is past the bumper to bumper warranty. Per Steph, the Thermostat, sensor, or housing unit are not covered under the Power train Warranty and politely advised me to "read my owner's manual to be better informed". I asked Steph why Chevrolet/GM felt the need to use defective/faulty parts and then expect the owners to pay for repairs that could have been avoided? It seens to me that a lot of Chevrolet owners are experiencing this issue, so Chevrolet /GM should see this trend as an issue they need to address at their expense, not their customers. I advised Steph that I have been a loyal Chevrolet Customer, but after this experience, I will make sure my next car will not be a Chevrolet or GM product since customer loyalty in not appreciated by Chevrolet/GM.
Old December 30th, 2018, 1:19 PM
CF Beginner

Guys , the question is , how often you need to change the hub? - https://asiacentr.com.ua/files/cat/96639585.jpg
Upon failure or after a certain mileage ? Who understands, prompt, please

Last edited by Roman Suslo; January 9th, 2019 at 2:20 AM.
Old June 24th, 2019, 9:08 PM
CF Beginner

Default Our 2014 Cruze has just given a p0597 code and our warranty is only the drive terran!

Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Service
Hello John,

We apologize for any inconvenience you've experienced relating to the check engine light in your 2012 Cruze. We'd like to gather your information via private message and reach out to the dealership to explore possible options in getting this issue diagnosed. If interested, please send your VIN, mileage, contact information, and the name of the dealership you prefer to work with.

Thanks John, we hope to receive a message from you soon!

Jasmine F
Chevrolet Customer Care
would you please help come to a resolution I but this brand new Chevy so I would have a reliable car and this is not at all what I have gotten!! Very disappointed!!!thank you for your time!!

Quick Reply: Thermostat problems (P0597)