Sonic (Aveo) The subcompact known globally as the Aveo since 2002 is now the SONIC in North America as of the 2012 model

Chevrolet Sonic
GM Platform: T200, T250, T300

Thermostat problems (P0597)

Search this Thread

Old May 11th, 2017, 9:18 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tnladyvolsfan1973
I have 2012 Chevy sonic Lt. I just had my car in the dealership shop. They charged me for the diagnose test and the repair. Today the check engine light came back on. At this time I can't afford to get repaired again. It's the thermostat supposedly. I have plans to go out of state for Thanksgiving. I won't think I would have to pay for this problem again. My car has 43,000 miles on it.. believe my 3 years or 36,000 miles warranty is up. Not sure on my bumper to bumper warranty. Please help me out here. I'm hoping to get the car fix before going out of town. What should I do?
They replace air intake hose and the thermostat. Had to pay for it all along with the diagnosis test for $100. I was getting close to change.y transmission fluid as well. I paid over $500 for everything. They gave me a loaner till my car was fixed right. I have had no more problems lately.. Good luck..
Old May 12th, 2017, 3:45 AM
CF Active Member

Why pay the dealer anything . Replacing the air hose / duct & thermostat / housing is not rocket science .

Get the codes read at your local auto parts store or invest $ 50 for a cheap code reader ( or order a Bluetooth doggel from EBay that works with your Android phone ) .

It is called Do It Yourself .

Or pay the going rate .

If you are going to complain , complain to the Chevy corporate customer service rep .

God bless
Wyr
Old May 13th, 2017, 8:02 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by WyrTwister
Why pay the dealer anything . Replacing the air hose / duct & thermostat / housing is not rocket science .

Get the codes read at your local auto parts store or invest $ 50 for a cheap code reader ( or order a Bluetooth doggel from EBay that works with your Android phone ) .

It is called Do It Yourself .

Or pay the going rate .

If you are going to complain , complain to the Chevy corporate customer service rep .

God bless
Wyr
i was not complaining. I messed up on here. I was trying to respond to a question. However, I did talk with Chevrolet corporation customer service rep. About my car issues. A few days later, they send me a form to fill out and mail back to them.

Sorry for the confusion.

Enjoy your day

Heather
Old May 20th, 2017, 9:20 PM
CF Beginner

Did they just replace the whole thermostat? I have a 2014 Sonic and very disappointed in it. I have 6 different codes sending the check engine light on. I found one problem being a vacuum leak but haven't discovered the other 5 which is sad when it's on it's 3rd year. I definitely don't have tons of money to dump into fixing a car that's on it's 3rd year.
Old May 21st, 2017, 8:17 AM
CF Active Member

If it is out of warranty , DIY .

Do not be discouraged . Sometimes 1 problem will trigger more than 1 code . Fix it and more than 1 code goes away when you reset the codes .

List the codes here & someone can probably help .

God bless
Wyr
Old June 7th, 2017, 1:34 PM
CF Beginner

OMG. Replace the thing yourself. It's $39. What is the matter with people these days??
Old June 7th, 2017, 3:16 PM
CF Beginner

I have an error code of P05297 and the dealer wants $115.00 just to check code. This is the second time having this code in under 2 years. Dealer says they will do nothing about the price of just checking it. I asked well since it has been under 2 years is it anything you will do about the price yet another no. James K.
Old June 8th, 2017, 6:25 AM
CF Active Member

Go to another dealer , complain to GM or fix it yourself .

God bless
Wyr
Old June 20th, 2017, 3:49 PM
CF Beginner

In June of 2016, I had several issues w/ our 2013 Spark. 1 of those issues was P0597 thrown. Took it to a Chevrolet dealership. This is what was written on the service invoice
found code p0597 engine heater control circuit and tested for power and ground at the sensor after commanding on with mdi. both were present the sensor tested bad. replaced thermostat housing topped off coolant cleared engine light and road tested vehicle
We did not have to pay for this.

Fast forward to a couple days ago, I began hearing a very high pitched whine (off and on). It would make the sound when turning the key to accessory without turning the engine over -- so possibly fuel pump? Anyway, besides that sound, a day later CEL came on. Scanned it today on the way to Chevrolet dealership -- P0597 again. Almost a year later! Waiting to hear back from the dealer for an official diagnosis and next steps.
Old June 22nd, 2017, 12:20 AM
CF Active Member

Not trying to sound like a wise guy or any thing . But it sounds like Chevy replaced a defective GM part with another defective GM part ( made in Korea ) .

Were it me , I would replace it myself with an aftermarket part ( hopefully made in USA ) . And hope that really had it fixed .

Best of luck with it .

God bless
Wyr

Quick Reply: Thermostat problems (P0597)