Suspension & Tire Is your ride slammed to the ground? Did you lift it so high you need a ladder to get in? Got sleek low-pros or gnarly mudders? Step in and let's talk about 'em!

Not too happy with my new Bilsteins, please help!!

Search this Thread

Old January 28th, 2016, 7:28 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Not too happy with my new Bilsteins, please help!!

Hi everyone,

I have an 04 Suburban with around 70,000 miles on it, overall good condition. Bought it a few months back. I just replaced the stock shocks in front a week ago with the Bilstein 4600 series which is apparently extremely popular and very well regarded. The back still has the OEM Nivomat shocks (ZW7). The problem is that I'm very disappointed with these new shocks. I'm definitely no expert when it comes to suspension or trucks, but it definitely seems poorer than the stock ones that had all those miles and years on them! (and they looked pretty done when I removed them). The new shocks cause the truck to dip or nosedive more, and when I'm driving on any remotely bumpy surface the truck swaggers back and forth left to right like a rumbling bear.

I guess it's possible that I just got a "bad batch," but what are the odds? And I'm not picky or very specific in my needs, I just wanted a firm, reliable shock which almost EVERYONE says that these are. So I'm very confused. Is it possible that I did something wrong? I'm relatively experience with DIY auto stuff, and installing shocks is one of the easiest installs anyway. I also have new Michelin tires, and the rest of the suspension seems to be in good shape. Really hoping maybe someone has some creative ideas here, because otherwise I'm really at a loss as to what to do next. Thanks guys!
Old January 30th, 2016, 9:48 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi no thoughts anyone?