Chevrolet  Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums

Chevrolet Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/)
-   Tahoe & Suburban (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/tahoe-suburban-25/)
-   -   04 Sub - Major Coolant BURST !! Help..... (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/tahoe-suburban-25/04-sub-major-coolant-burst-help-54306/)

Norbit November 6th, 2012 9:40 AM

04 Sub - Major Coolant BURST !! Help.....

Wife driving our 04 Sub 1500 yesterday, started smoking badly. Once she parked it, there's a huge puddle of coolant under the car and most of the engine was covered in it... I refilled the reservoir with water to try to make it home but it all leaked out almost immediately once I started driving again.

With an 'explosive burst' like this, do you think a hose busted, or possibly the water pump or what?

I cant afford to get raped at the mechanic or dealer. Need to fix myself.
Thanks for any help you can give me.

oldchevy November 6th, 2012 11:21 AM

You will have to look at the hoses to see if one burst. Also look at the plastic reservoir to see if there are any cracks in it. Fill the reservoir and start engine and look around to find the leak.

Norbit November 6th, 2012 11:48 AM

I looked at the reservoir itself and it was definitely soaked but I couldnt see a crack or anything.. even if it had a crack, it would seem unlikely that all of the coolant would explode out of it all over the engine dont you think?

thanks for your help..

PS - in order to inspect all of the hoses, do I need to take off anything to get down to them?

73shark November 6th, 2012 1:05 PM

Welcome to the forum.

The upper and lower radiator hoses are visible as are the two heater hoses.

If it's leaking that profusely, it shouldn't be hard to spot where it's coming from. Another place to check is the water pump. When that seal goes, it will leak but it usually gives some warning by leaking after shut down when the pressure builds up.

Norbit November 6th, 2012 2:28 PM

Thanks for the replies.... Im heading over to the vehicle in about an hour to mess with it... Hopefully I can figure this out... because of the profuse manner of the leak, do you think that may rule out needing an entirely new water pump?

PS - it was tough to find the source because literally every hose, reservoir, etc were completely soaked when it happened.... LOL

Norbit November 6th, 2012 6:03 PM

UPDATE: I checked all of the hoses as much as possible and didnt see anything wrong, I also checked the plastic reservoir which appears fine as well. When I fill up the reservoir it drains out immediately pouring out under the car. I cant tell exactly where the flow is coming out of but it appears to be down in the water pump area (not the visible outside area but the engine side of it). this is my best guess right now.

Is there a seal or gasket where the water pump attaches that might have blown? If so, how hard is that to replace?

PSS --> would a water pump that needs to be replaced leak all of the coolant out immediately like that as soon as the reservoir is filled? (car not started, just sitting there)

thanks for the continued help.

tech2 November 6th, 2012 7:30 PM

sometimes the spring clamps for the hoses get weak and rusty, even breaking. The lower rad hose clamp seems to be the one that goes first.

agree with the previous post...water pumps are common too.

pressure test the cooling system to find the leak.

73shark November 6th, 2012 7:31 PM

Did you check the hose to the reservoir?

Re: PSS, I don't think so. You'd be able to see it.

If it's just running out w/o the engine running, I don't think pressure testing is going to help.

delta579 November 7th, 2012 5:39 AM

Water pump gasket ? Mine corroded and started seeping coolant. If yours blew out a good portion of the gasket it may do what you describe. Water pump backing plate could also be bad.

Norbit November 7th, 2012 6:34 AM

Originally Posted by 73shark (Post 231848)
Did you check the hose to the reservoir?

Re: PSS, I don't think so. You'd be able to see it.

If it's just running out w/o the engine running, I don't think pressure testing is going to help.

Reservoir hose appears fine as far as I can tell. The leak looks like its coming from the area of the water pump but on the inside (engine side) of the pump. I can see water running out from it but cant pinpoint the source because I cant see it.