Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

04 Suburban vibration at 65mph

Search this Thread

Old April 4th, 2020, 9:15 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 04 Suburban vibration at 65mph

New to the forum.

I have a 2004 Chevy suburban 2wd that has developed a really bad vibration at 65mph literally all the way up to 60 no vibration and past 74mph vibration stops

I have had almost the entire front end replaced (from the hubs to the steering link) I have also had the suspension replaced as well and there is still a vibration

The driveshaft is aluminum and I did replace the rear u-joint and the vibration did dissipate a little. I want to a axle shop and they said aluminum axles can't be balanced and sent me on my way so I'm not really even sure it's it's the axel.

Any ideas where else the vibration may be coming from? Or if you think the axel is bad?
Old April 4th, 2020, 10:25 PM
Super Moderator

Received 677 Likes on 613 Posts

I can't read that
Old April 4th, 2020, 10:44 PM
CF Beginner

Can you read it now

I have a 2004 Chevy suburban 2wd that has developed a really bad vibration at 65mph literally all the way up to 60 no vibration and past 74mph vibration stops

I have had almost the entire front end replaced (from the hubs to the steering link) I have also had the suspension replaced as well and there is still a vibration

The driveshaft is aluminum and I did replace the rear u-joint and the vibration did dissipate a little. I want to a axle shop and they said aluminum axles can't be balanced and sent me on my way so I'm not really even sure it's it's the axel.

Any ideas where else the vibration may be coming from? Or if you think the axel is the issue
Old April 4th, 2020, 10:54 PM
Super Moderator

Received 511 Likes on 471 Posts

is the vibration felt in the steering wheel or thru the body of the vehicle?
Old April 5th, 2020, 2:42 AM
Super Moderator

Received 677 Likes on 613 Posts

do a wheel rotation and see if it changes.
Old April 5th, 2020, 6:16 PM
CF Beginner

4 brand new tires all balanced and alignment done. The entire truck vibrates and the glove box and rear door panel makes noise. I took off the panels and stoped the noise but the vibration is felt all around the truck also the vibration use to start at 40mph but has since shifted to 65mph after rear u-joint
Old April 5th, 2020, 6:18 PM
CF Veteran

Received 224 Likes on 198 Posts

I assume it did this before tires were replaced as well?
Old April 5th, 2020, 7:54 PM
CF Beginner

Yes about 2 months before I had work done the vibration started
Old April 6th, 2020, 12:00 AM
Super Moderator

Received 511 Likes on 471 Posts

ujoints and tires are the most common cause.
unfortunately new tires doesn't mean they can be ruled out; unless they were roadforced balanced. a roadforce balancer measures radial tire variation and rim runout ie bent rim.
looks like the ujoint fixed something.
did you buy good tires. I bought canadian tire brand tires and they created pulls and high speed vibrations. no change with tire rotations. I roadforce balanced all 4 tires and all 4 were twice the acceptable limit for a passenger tire.

good shops have vibrations analyzers that can measure the frequency of the vibration. since tires, driveshafts, crankshafts and transmission input/output rotate a different speeds; the frequency measurement will isolate the source. Phone apps that can do this are out there for dyiers.
Old April 6th, 2020, 12:20 AM
CF Beginner

Thanks for the info... I will trouble shoot a bit more but I think it's the driveshaft out of balance because of the change after the rear u-joint being replaced. The driveshaft is aluminum and I guess the shop won't touch aluminum because weights can't be fastened properly or reliable although there are currently 3 steel weights on the driveshaft in different areas.. might see if there is another shop or get 2nd opinion

Quick Reply: 04 Suburban vibration at 65mph