Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

07 Suburban starter still turns when engine is running

Search this Thread

Old February 26th, 2012, 10:08 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 07 Suburban starter still turns when engine is running

I have 2007 Suburban with 5.3. If the truck is sitting for a while when u go to start it the motor starts but the starter is still turning so i turn it off than restart and it starts up just fine. I just repalced the starter relay no luck. Trying to fix it before i have to take it to a stealership.
Old February 26th, 2012, 11:19 AM
CF Veteran

could be a few things, first thing I'd do is have someone hold the key in the crank position and see if the voltage on the S terminal (should be the smallest on the solenoid) goes away when they let go of the key. My guess is the starter itself or your ignition switch is shorting power to the circuit
Old February 26th, 2012, 12:47 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like the starter solenoid is sticking. I think this is a bendix drive and replacing the starter will fix it or you can remove the starter and have someone to build it. I would prefer to have it replaced as it is simplier.
Old February 26th, 2012, 1:10 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by flojo
I have 2007 Suburban with 5.3. If the truck is sitting for a while when u go to start it the motor starts but the starter is still turning so i turn it off than restart and it starts up just fine. I just repalced the starter relay no luck. Trying to fix it before i have to take it to a stealership.
Welcome to the forum. You were doing fine until that "stealership" blurb. It's not like they don't have to invest in the training of personnel, equipment, and general upkeep. Now, it's not the relay nor the starter but the ECM doing the extended cranking since it does stop when the key is turned to off. Are you releasing the key before or after the engine is stared? Try this: turn the key to on, wait a couple of seconds for the fuel pump to prime, turn the key to start, and then release it only after the engine is started.
Old February 27th, 2012, 7:29 AM
CF Beginner

Sorry about the stealership comment. Yes I tried that turned the key on waited a couple seconds and worked fine. I told my wife what to do,lets just say she didn't like that fix. What's the ecm is that the main commuter.
Old February 27th, 2012, 11:50 AM
CF Veteran

The ECM is the engine management computer. It's sometimes called PCM or VCM, the same thing. Anyway, if you release the key before the engine actually starts, the ECM will take over the cranking until it's sure the engine is running or a 15-second timer expires. One or two seconds of extended cranking by the ECM after you, human, recognize that the engine is started is normal. Anything beyond that, take it in and get it checked out. There may be a firmware update or something.
Old February 27th, 2012, 3:15 PM
CF Beginner

thanks will do.
Old March 2nd, 2012, 10:35 PM
CF Beginner

oktook the burb to the dealer ship, thank god my sister is the office manger! anyways it was the fuel pump, because it wasnt holding pressure when the you would turn off the key which makes sence now. the truck would start up fine if u lturned the key and let the fuel pump build up pressure than it would start up fine.
Old March 3rd, 2012, 9:14 AM
CF Veteran

Glad to hear and thanks for the update.
Old August 1st, 2013, 12:23 PM
CF Beginner

Default Same issue

I have a 2007 Suburban with 79000 miles. The very same thing happened today. I noticed continued starting noise coinciding with longer cranking to get the engine going. Once running, cycling the engine (turn off/on) was not a problem. Let the engine sit and the issue would resurface. I even noted one time where the ECM was still cranking the start process even after I released the key back into the run position. Verdict: FUEL PUMP. Truck under Master Guard so entire job covered. I've used this dealership here in Central Jersey for over a decade and never felt there was a value issue. Always use GM certified mechanics. Thanks for posting this - confirmed our situation.