Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

09 tahoe vibrating at hwy speeds (not tire balance problem) help!

Search this Thread

Old January 16th, 2010, 4:35 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 09 tahoe vibrating at hwy speeds (not tire balance problem) help!

hey i noticed that my 09 tahoe has been vibrating at speeds of 50 or more. i took it to the dealer and they are trying to say that my after market flow master muffler is the cause of the problem, even tho it was happening before i had it installed. can it actually be wat is causing it to vibrate???
Old January 16th, 2010, 5:22 PM
CF Active Member

I had this problem with my '92 truck but it was at speeds between 30-50 mph, and it turned out to be the U-joints. Have you checked your u-joints? Do you hear a popping sound when shifting it into gear from park (kinda like a clunk/pop from underneath)? This shouldn't be your problem since your Tahoe is new, but I would check to make sure. You can also go underneath to your driveshaft and twist it to check if the u-joints are loose. This is just from experience, but the vibration would feel more like a shudder and not vibration from the wheels.

Last edited by cam3439; January 17th, 2010 at 1:37 PM.
Old January 16th, 2010, 7:43 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Put it in neutral while it is vibrating and turn the engine off, if the vibration stops it is not the exhaust. Most vibrations at speeds are tires especially on something so new. How are you sure it is not the tires?
Old January 17th, 2010, 9:31 AM
CF Beginner

thanks cam i will deff check my u joints, and yes i sometimes feel a thump when sifting but usually when on an incline. MD thanks i will try that test today. i had the tires balanced before i took it to the dealer. thanks for the info ill keep u guys updated
Old January 17th, 2010, 1:40 PM
CF Active Member

There should be a little noise coming from your drivetrain when putting it into gear. But what I'm talking about is a popping sound that is a little louder than usual, and with time, will get louder.
Old January 17th, 2010, 2:45 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ps1588
i had the tires balanced before i took it to the dealer. thanks for the info ill keep u guys updated
I have had many many car come in with vibration problems that just had the tire balanced and the problem was still a balance issue. Many shops do not calibrate the balancer regularly. Or they have people who do not use them properly. Or the balancer is just plain cheap. Look into Road Force balancing (google Hunter GSP 9700). Even if a tire is balance if it is a little out of round it will still hop.
Old January 17th, 2010, 3:50 PM
Administrator

Received 45 Likes on 45 Posts

I would suspect tires/wheels to be the most likely cause as well...
Are the tires/wheels original or aftermarket?

It may be worthwhile to have the tires dis-mounted from the rims to inspect for water in the tire... I have also seen the tire rotated 180 on the rim to help reduce/identify out of balance tire/rim combination...

may also try rotating the tires to see if you can change the the vibration enough to identify or eliminate a tire issue...

Just some thoughts
Old January 18th, 2010, 10:18 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I had that problem on an 07 and never could find the problem until the tires were almost worn out. I took it in for a rotation and they found an area on the tire that was basically bald in an area about 8" long with plenty of tread the rest of the way. I would say something is wrong with the tires. Bridgestones??
Old January 19th, 2010, 10:02 PM
CF Junior Member

May not be a "balancing" issue, but could be a bad tire. It happens
Old January 20th, 2010, 7:26 AM
Administrator

Received 45 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by UKHOOPZ
May not be a "balancing" issue, but could be a bad tire. It happens

Good point...

Quick Reply: 09 tahoe vibrating at hwy speeds (not tire balance problem) help!