Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

09 tahoe vibrating at hwy speeds (not tire balance problem) help!

Search this Thread

Old May 9th, 2010, 9:05 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No, i had the same problem in my Tahoe 2009, i took it six times then they said it is the shaft problem, it needs balancing in high and low shaft balancing. It is ok now.
Old July 21st, 2010, 11:03 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey guys thanks for all the responses. i looked into all of ur suggestions and finally i took it to a shop that figured out the problem. my rear driver tire had a lump in it. so now that its summer time instead of getting new tires i also got some new 24" rims. i figured i might as well right? lol. anyways i figured with new rims n tires the problem would be solved, but nope its still vibrating. usually starts shaking at highway speeds. i know that 24s are gonna give me a rough ride but this is more then that. now even the steering wheel moves. i also noticed that its a different feeling vibration then my stock rims so it could be just a different balance issue with these rims too. a buddy of mine said i should have the clips on my hubs shaved off to have a completely flat surface??? any suggestions on any of this would be helpful. thanks guys!
Old July 21st, 2010, 6:13 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The first shops Road Force balancer should have picked up on the bad tire (if it was calibrated regularly and the operator knew what he was doing). The fact that is worse now still indicates a tire problem. 24 are really hard to balance you need to find a good tire shop that can do what you need. You may want to go to Tire Rack's web site and find a recommend installer in your area the have that shop balance them properly
Old October 13th, 2020, 8:50 PM
CF Active Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Put it in neutral while it is vibrating and turn the engine off, if the vibration stops it is not the exhaust how is it not the tires?
Old October 14th, 2020, 9:49 AM
CF Active Member

Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts

I was going to respond with several questions until I saw this thread is 10 years old.