Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

1993 Suburban leaking tranny fluid....

Search this Thread

Old August 1st, 2013, 3:12 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1993 Suburban leaking tranny fluid....

Hi guys,

I'm new to the site and would like to know some of your opinions. I'm not the best mechanic in the world and I'm not sure how to approach this. Obviously there is a problem because the transmission is leaking like crazy. What should I do? I don't want to take it to a garage and end up paying more than the truck is worth. Btw: the truck is a 2 wheel drive, 5.7 L V8, 1/2 ton suburban.
Old August 1st, 2013, 6:59 AM
CF Active Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If the transmission has been leaking for a while fluid and dirt will have accumulated over the transmission. It will need to be cleaned to pinpoint the leak. Look closely around the service pan. Pan gaskets are the most common leak. These are easy to service and usually a new transmission filter is necessary. Replace the gasket and filter if the gasket is leaking. Look at the forward area of the transmission where it is bolted to the engine. If fluid is seeping from here, the front seal has failed, and the transmission must be removed for repair. This usually indicates the pump bushing has dislocated, allowing fluid to leak past the front seal. In this case, the transmission must be removed. If any connector is leaking the repair is internal. Access is gained through the pan and the transmission does not need to be removed. Remove the rad cap when the engine is cool. Inspect the fluid for oily, reddish-brown residue floating on top of the coolant. This indicates the transmission cooler is leaking and should be replaced. Consult a certified mechanic for major repair.

Last edited by Jeff Collision; August 1st, 2013 at 7:17 AM.