Chevrolet  Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums

Chevrolet Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/)
-   Tahoe & Suburban (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/tahoe-suburban-25/)
-   -   1994 suburban starts then stalls out (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/tahoe-suburban-25/1994-suburban-starts-then-stalls-out-5214/)

dalkins1 February 23rd, 2007 9:21 PM

RE: 1994 suburban starts then stalls out

Still fighting with this issue,,,,,,have now changed the ignition lock cylinder to go along with all the other parts. Suburban runs fine,,,but about every other day it will start then quickly stall,,,it will start and stall about 2-4 times before it will stay running fine. I have gotten another code (number 35) IAC valve again,,,,,I have put a new one it so not sure what is going on. I also wiggled numerous wires while it is running to see if I can locate a loose connection. I am stumped at this time,,,,parts I have changed are: dist cap, rotor, ignition module, fuel filter, fuel pump relay, oil pressure switch, plugs, ignition switch and lock cylinder.
Golfer I finally have an answer to your question of the dash lights being on when it stalls,,,,they are not on when it stalls??? not sure what this means? Does anybody think it could be something in the run circuit that loses power when key is realeased just after it starts?
Pleas offer any suggestions I am at a loss at this point, Thanks Dave

golfer February 23rd, 2007 11:19 PM

Ok lets review...

- when the vehicle first starts ( cold ) it runs fine and doesn't stall.

- After it's been running a while ( hot ) it stalls and hard to start.

- when it does stall there are no lights lit on the dash

.... is this correct so far?

When it does stall and the radio isplaying will it go off ?

RonH February 24th, 2007 3:29 AM

It really could be a fuel pump. Sometimes they will run fine for a long or short time and then just quit pumping. Turning the key off and on a couple of times until you hear it running again will get it started again, and then it will run for a while just fine before it quits again. Seems like after sitting overnight or for several hours,it runs good for a while before it starts acting up.

dalkins1 February 24th, 2007 11:54 AM

Golfer,,,it has since stall out twice when it is first started in the morning????? It stalls out so fast after it starts that I am not sure about the radio.
A funny thing about this suburban, I have never been able to hear the fuel pump running, I have owned it for about 6 weeks now, I think I bought somebodys headache. With my limited knowledge I am thinking its maybe fuel pump or something in the ecm not giving a signal sometimes after it starts? Do you think I am heading in the right direction?
Thanks Dave

golfer February 24th, 2007 9:40 PM

Let's never mind about an electrical problem and I doubt it's the ECM.
The engine needs three things for it to start and run...
1 - air
2 - fuel
3 - spark

You can try having someone turn the key to "on" for the count of 5. During this time you're outside the vehicle listening for the hum from the fuel pump.

There is a magnetic pickup and an ignition module inside the distributor that the ECM reads to control the timing of the spark and the injectors.

You could also have a problem with the fuel pressure regulator.

CJ Morris February 27th, 2012 7:20 PM

1994 suburban has issues when you dont let it warm it up?

This morning I started it fine and ran for about 10 minutes, then took the kids to school. This was about 7 am, at around 10:50 I went out and started it, but only let run for a minute or two then left. The truck sputters and dies repeatedly. The only way to keep it going is continually tapping the gas pedal. Any ideas on what might be going on?

wishiknew March 14th, 2012 3:30 AM

Sounds like you have the same thing I do. I'll let you know when the dudes reply to my thread, haha.

illinoise November 13th, 2012 2:56 PM

I have this exact same issue, except I have a 95.

Has anyone solved this issue?