Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

1999 Chevy Suburban k1500 5.7 no spark

Search this Thread

Old September 29th, 2018, 8:35 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1999 Chevy Suburban k1500 5.7 no spark

Hello everyone I'm new to the forum and in need of some help. I just did I a whole new distributor plugs an wires but before I did the distributor I just did the cap an roter becouse one of the tabs broke off for the cap so I zip tied it down real good so I could get it home drove it home a good 30 miles an then drove it to work the next day no problems at all well I went to park when I got to work I went to back it in the parking spot so I put it reverse taped the gas an it just dies out on me an wouldn't restart their was no overheating nothing leaking no back fire just stalled out in the middle of the parking lot so the next day the distributor came in (ordered it before it stalled) watch the whole bunch of YouTube videos on how to do it I lined up the timing pulled out the distributor made the mark an lined up the new one installed it still nothing so that's when we checked for spark an found none so today I bought a new ignition coil thinkining that was it nope still no spark so I did some research and I'm thinking it might be the ignition control module but I'm not sure the truck has 328000 an ran Flawless before it stalled any advice would be appreciated thank you in advance
Old September 29th, 2018, 9:06 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you have 12v power at + side of coil with key on?
Old September 29th, 2018, 9:08 PM
CF Beginner

Yes I have 12v with key in run position
Old September 29th, 2018, 9:16 PM
CF Senior Member

Sounds like module then,how you upset it is a good ?,stuff happens,but,a cap came with new distributor or using first replacement?and good quality stuff?
Old September 29th, 2018, 9:19 PM
CF Monarch

Received 263 Likes on 255 Posts

Originally Posted by Gordon Blackwell
Hello everyone I'm new to the forum and in need of some help. I just did I a whole new distributor plugs an wires but before I did the distributor I just did the cap an roter becouse one of the tabs broke off for the cap so I zip tied it down real good so I could get it home drove it home a good 30 miles an then drove it to work the next day no problems at all well I went to park when I got to work I went to back it in the parking spot so I put it reverse taped the gas an it just dies out on me an wouldn't restart their was no overheating nothing leaking no back fire just stalled out in the middle of the parking lot so the next day the distributor came in (ordered it before it stalled) watch the whole bunch of YouTube videos on how to do it I lined up the timing pulled out the distributor made the mark an lined up the new one installed it still nothing so that's when we checked for spark an found none so today I bought a new ignition coil thinkining that was it nope still no spark so I did some research and I'm thinking it might be the ignition control module but I'm not sure the truck has 328000 an ran Flawless before it stalled any advice would be appreciated thank you in advance
Who uses zip ties on a distributor cap?. Yeah, I'd buy one of the expensive summit racing distributors.like this one:

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/d...et/model/c1500
Old September 29th, 2018, 9:26 PM
CF Beginner

I bought the distributor from Rock Auto the one I got had good reviews I would of bought from O'Riley's or auto zone but it was almost 200 bucks so I spent 90 with shipping then 40 on a bwd coil from O'Riley's I'd like to buy the icm from Rock Auto but I don't have time to wait so I'm going to spend 85 at O'Riley's cheapest I found that I can go get I just hope it's not the computer... But I don't think it is because it ran good before all the maintenance but even better after an now this
Old September 29th, 2018, 9:30 PM
CF Senior Member

One more test,pull coil wire off of cap and crank,check for spark,I'm assuming you checked for spark at plug end,some caps are garbage
Old September 29th, 2018, 9:39 PM
CF Beginner

Honestly I did try that just straight from the coil an I got nothing so that's what is makeing me think it s the icm so I did take the icm off to inspect it an I noticed a small bubble on one side of it so I'm thinking its fryed because I looked at a few online an none had it
Old September 29th, 2018, 9:41 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by oilcanhenry
Who uses zip ties on a distributor cap?. Yeah, I'd buy one of the expensive summit racing distributors.like this one:

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/d...et/model/c1500

Had to get home somehow
Old September 29th, 2018, 9:45 PM
CF Senior Member

I agree,it was it's time to go,just a coincidence