Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2000 suburban Lt rear center brake hose, input needed!

Search this Thread

Old May 7th, 2015, 8:45 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 suburban Lt rear center brake hose, input needed!

Hey guys, this has always been my go to forum for all my gm related questions, and I've finally hit the dreaded wall on my latest GM endeavor.

So to begin, on the way home from a short trip with my family, about an hour to and from, my brake pedal hit the floor and was useless.

Thankfully it happened a few miles from my house. I figured right away rotted lines, and went to investigate. I found the leak, pissing brake fluid from the rear, and on further inspection found it to be my rear center brake house, right were the rear brake lines connect to. Bought the hose, went to work. Got everything disconnected, had to replace a brake line in the process and now I am stuck.

Where the hose threads into the mounted bracket on the frame (over the rear diff, near the spare tire) is completely rusted and rounded. I've scoured the internet looking for other similar cases and just can't find what I'm looking for. I've resorted to about 200 gallons of liquid wrench and vice grips at this point. The OEM replacement I bought threads in and is a 15mm fitting, and for the life of me I can't get the original to budge.

This is my daily and is absolutely soul crushing the last two days without it. And advice from a hardened veteran out there? Seriously, anything would help!

Thanks in advanced guys
-Seth

Last edited by suburbo; May 7th, 2015 at 8:46 PM. Reason: more info
Old May 9th, 2015, 12:19 PM
CF Beginner

I went out and snapped some pictures, just so you guys could get a better understanding of what's going on
-Seth
suburbo - Album on Imgur
Old May 10th, 2015, 5:49 AM
CF Active Member

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by suburbo
Where the hose threads into the mounted bracket on the frame (over the rear diff, near the spare tire) is completely rusted and rounded.
-Seth
It appears that the hose does not thread into the bracket. Looks to me like the clip on the other side of the bracket is holding the hose in. Remove the brake line nut,& the clip, then the hose should come off the bracket. (It may be rusted in tight) That brake line looks like it's toast, I'd think about changing it too. Good Luck
Old May 10th, 2015, 5:57 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With that much rust I would replace the lines all the way to the wheels. If the rest of the lines look the same, consider replacing all of them now. Yes it is a pain, but its only a matter of time, and brake lines are cheap.
Old May 10th, 2015, 8:06 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by RichC10
With that much rust I would replace the lines all the way to the wheels. If the rest of the lines look the same, consider replacing all of them now. Yes it is a pain, but its only a matter of time, and brake lines are cheap.
Ended up doing just that, one of the flares had snapped off on the driver side line, causing the original leak. Used copper lines for a little more play with the bending. Good call.

-Seth
Old May 10th, 2015, 8:54 AM
CF Active Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Copper lines

Don't know if using copper lines was a good decision. Seeing that copper is softer than steel,will it handle the pressure? Also where copper lines contact steel you might have a corrosion problem. Just my opinion.
Old May 10th, 2015, 4:38 PM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by bearbait
Don't know if using copper lines was a good decision. Seeing that copper is softer than steel,will it handle the pressure? Also where copper lines contact steel you might have a corrosion problem. Just my opinion.

Using copper is an all around bad idea. Not strong enough by a long shot, and won't pass inspection if you still have those. Hate to say it, but, you really should go back and do it the right way......
Old May 10th, 2015, 7:05 PM
Super Moderator

Received 511 Likes on 471 Posts

he probably means cupric/nickel. Pure copper tubing is not sold for use in brake systems.
Old May 10th, 2015, 9:33 PM
Administrator

Received 170 Likes on 168 Posts

The biggest problem with copper is that it will work hard and become brittle. Once that happens, any kind of mild shock can fracture the line.
Old May 11th, 2015, 5:34 AM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by tech2
he probably means cupric/nickel. Pure copper tubing is not sold for use in brake systems.

I don't know....... My father in law is probably not the only hillbilly engineer who sees copper tubing and a plumbers flair tool and thinks, brake lines.
Thankfully, he was such a mechanic, the car didn't last too long anyway.......

Quick Reply: 2000 suburban Lt rear center brake hose, input needed!