Chevrolet  Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums

Chevrolet Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/)
-   Tahoe & Suburban (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/tahoe-suburban-25/)
-   -   2001 suburban cranks but won’t start. (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/tahoe-suburban-25/2001-suburban-cranks-but-won%92t-start-88803/)

Bigdog07 February 2nd, 2018 4:52 PM

2001 suburban cranks but won’t start.

Hi everyone I’m looking for advice please, I have a 2001 suburban with a 5.3 vortec, auto 4wd. Vehicle was driving great until one trip it just died on me with no warning whatsoever, and now it will not start just cranks over. Took it to my brothers shop were we discovered no fuel or spark, we can get the fuel pump to run whilst jumping it from the fuel pump prime located in the fuse box so I know the pump works, and it also gets fuel up to the fuel rail....I’m pretty sure it’s the Passlock that is acting up security light flashes along with low fuel and a battery light, I’ve tried doing the key relearn with no success, and I’ve also tried a pro module from newrockies with no success either I’ve checked all the fuses and relays and not found anything there that’s blown, I’m pretty much out of ideas on this one, my only other possibility could be crank or cam sensor what do you guys think anyone had any similar problems, thanks for your time guys it’s appreciated

oldchevy February 3rd, 2018 7:14 AM

Is the check engine light on? Did you read the codes if it is on?

Bigdog07 February 3rd, 2018 11:13 AM

Hi, there isn’t any check engine lights on, that’s what’s making me think it isn’t a crank or cam sensor, the only thing that flashes is the message Center, says low fuel, which there isn’t, battery, and then after 20 seconds or so with the ignition on it also starts to flash security in sequence with fuel and battery, like I say I’ve tried multiple time with the key cycle and even had other people try it....I’m really stumped with this one, I’ve never had a problem with a car that we can’t figure out before....think I need to check grounds and connectors, such a shame as it’s a really nice vehicle

oldchevy February 3rd, 2018 3:16 PM

My friends 98 Astro had a similar problem that had us stumped also. Turned out to be the crank sensor with no codes for the sensor. Not saying that this is your problem but it is something to think about.

Bigdog07 February 3rd, 2018 3:42 PM

Thanks for the advice, might be worth doing something to cross of the list....hopefully when we do get to the bottom of this issue I’ll definitely post it, there must be a lot of people out there with this issue

Bigdog07 February 4th, 2018 11:22 AM

Ok, finally working what a relief, went back and checked everything from the beginning, tried plugging in to two different scanners and wouldn’t communicate almost like the ecm was dead took the covers of it checked all connections and wires and looked good, rechecked the fuses and noticed the one for the ecm had blown....bingo can’t believe it we’d checked the fuses over and over but somehow missed the 20amp for the ecm...lesson for me check the basics properly, fired right off unbelievable!

73shark February 4th, 2018 12:25 PM

Now all you have to figure out is why the fuse blew in the first place. :eek:

kevinkpk February 4th, 2018 3:17 PM

Originally Posted by 73shark (Post 352291)
Now all you have to figure out is why the fuse blew in the first place. :eek:

That is a good point. With that, make sure the ecm cover is properly in place

Bigdog07 February 11th, 2018 2:48 PM

To be honest was driving it all week, went to start it late Friday to get home from work.....pos wouldn’t start again, cheacked the fuse and it hadn’t blown, looks like I’ll be starting from the beginning once again, such a shame nice vehicle but damn it, it’s a pain in the butt, only difference this time is I have a service engine light on and it did miss and pop when I fired it up Friday morning...I’ll have to look at it between work I guess

kevinkpk February 11th, 2018 3:19 PM

Start over, and step by step recheck. Often times we miss something in our haste. Now, do you have a check engine light? Is the security light one? Post what you have at present.