Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2001 Tahoe Knock Sensor

Search this Thread

Old March 16th, 2011, 2:21 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello to every one, I'm new to this forum.
I need to replace the knock sensor on my 2001 tahoe suburbam, 2wd, 5.3L.
When I bought the sensor at the auto parts store they showed me a diagram of where its located, on the 5.3L it was to be next to the oil filter on the drivers side. I even took off the motor mount then I did the same on the passnger side. I've replaced all that I've removed and I still can't find it. I ranned my hand though the back.
Can anyone help me locate it.

thanks
Old March 16th, 2011, 4:49 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After I posted my issue I read though this site and found alot of good information and advice, it took me an hour to take out both knock sensors, only one was in rusted water. after reading most comments I'll go ahead and replace both and the wire harness.
thank to all in this forum.
Old October 14th, 2019, 4:49 PM
CF Beginner

Richard.Hollingsworth@Yahoo.com's Avatar

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hope I can help a few of my Chevy Brothers with the Knock Sensor curse! 2001 Tahoe 5.3l vortec. I replaced both kcs with OEM online and new harness. After installing the code came back even though all dtcs cleared. I ohmed both kc wires from sensor plug to 51 and 11 at pcm and they both ohmed good! Checked and cleaned all grounds as well as cleaned all connectors with electronic spray! Still getting the code ?

Seems the oem sensors I received online had one not making quite enough voltage even though it did ohm 100 ohms and put out minimal voltage with dvm ! It hurt but I went to the dealer and 211.00 later the issue is definitely gone. I I stomped the gas from start at signal lights as well as romping on freeway up to 75 a few times and the problem is 100% repaired. Just wanted to share my experience. Kinda tough for a guy on a tight budget but this is one situation that seems the dealer parts are pretty much the for sure fix!!
The following users liked this post:
pruitt09@att.net (April 4th, 2022)