Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2005 2500 Suburban No Crank

Search this Thread

Old May 28th, 2024, 7:50 PM
CF Active Member

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Ted K
Greetings, not sure if I was supposed to remove the blue and green connectors from the PCM to perform the above diagnostic steps, but I did. ...As it worked out, I removed the Blue connector first and the green connector was still attached. So blue connector, terminal 39 had 12 volts in the RUN position. It also had 12v in the start position.
The connector needs to be plugged in and the crank circuit has to be good (it's not).
Grounding that terminal did make the engine crank.
Green connector, terminal 59, purple wire, had no voltage when turned to START....... Thanks, TK.
Great testing. I was intending for you to leave the connectors plugged in. You got the info we need to go on. No need to retest.
The crank test proved that the starter circuit (ignition switch, IGN E fuse, PNP switch, starter relay, starter) is good.
Lack of voltage at PCM Green 59 shows that there is a bad connection between the CRANK fuse and the PCM connector.
Or, a bad fuse, did you check the CRANK fuse with a meter?
With the PCM connectors plugged in try applying 12 volts to the green #59 from the back of the connector with a small wire or paper clip. If the car starts this will prove the PCM is good. If good, now comes the fun part , trying to follow the purple wire back to the fuse block to find where you loose the 12 v start signal. The other end wire should be at the fuse block's 68 pin, black connector, pin F3
The following users liked this post:
mountainmanjoe (May 28th, 2024)
Old May 28th, 2024, 7:51 PM
Super Moderator

Received 677 Likes on 613 Posts

Green connector, terminal 59, purple wire, had no voltage when turned to START..
this wire should be on the same circuit as the CRANK fuse that you tested earlier. So if power isn't getting to the PCM, that means there is a fault somewhere between the fuse and this connector.
a55bruce (May 28th, 2024)
Old May 29th, 2024, 3:49 PM
CF Beginner

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by a55bruce
The connector needs to be plugged in and the crank circuit has to be good (it's not).

Great testing. I was intending for you to leave the connectors plugged in. You got the info we need to go on. No need to retest.
The crank test proved that the starter circuit (ignition switch, IGN E fuse, PNP switch, starter relay, starter) is good.
Lack of voltage at PCM Green 59 shows that there is a bad connection between the CRANK fuse and the PCM connector.
Or, a bad fuse, did you check the CRANK fuse with a meter?
With the PCM connectors plugged in try applying 12 volts to the green #59 from the back of the connector with a small wire or paper clip. If the car starts this will prove the PCM is good. If good, now comes the fun part , trying to follow the purple wire back to the fuse block to find where you loose the 12 v start signal. The other end wire should be at the fuse block's 68 pin, black connector, pin F3

You gentlemen know what they say about a picture!

Nest in the bottom.
I put power to the purple wire #59' green connector and it fired right up. I went looking and here is what I found. I had suspected mice early on, but I didn't see any obvious sign. I obviously didn't know where to look. Under the fuse box is an ideal nesting place for those rascals. So thank you both from the bottom of my heart! I know the neighbor lady thanks you also. Wish I could return the favor someday. TK.
The following 2 users liked this post by Ted K:
jfmorris (May 30th, 2024), mountainmanjoe (May 29th, 2024)
Old May 29th, 2024, 3:59 PM
CF Active Member

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Great find! Thank you for the update.
For thanks, just pay it forward now that you're an expert at vermin hunting.
Ted K (May 29th, 2024)
Old May 29th, 2024, 4:41 PM
Super Moderator

Received 677 Likes on 613 Posts

Congrats!
Finding that was relatively painless.
Repair doesn't look like it'll be too bad. you should be able to release those wire terminals from their sockets by poking the tangs in just the right spot with a sharp tool.
Ted K (May 29th, 2024)
Old May 30th, 2024, 9:24 AM
CF Active Member

Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts

Wow! I've been watching this discussion with interest the past few days, and am so glad you found the issue. I hate rats and mice! Squirrels too (had one get in my attic recently). They are so destructive.

You are an amazing neighbor, and God bless you for going above and beyond to help the widow lady in your neighborhood. I know this was a LOT of time and effort on your part to fix her car, and know that she appreciates it.
Ted K (May 30th, 2024)
Old May 30th, 2024, 9:53 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Feel sorry for you! I know that mice can cause a lot of trouble. Besides, the wirings look like a complete mess. You need to get rid of rodents in your house and garage. That's where you start.

Last edited by mountainmanjoe; May 30th, 2024 at 2:08 PM.
Old May 30th, 2024, 12:23 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Pierregirard
Feel sorry for you! I know that mice can cause a lot of trouble. Besides, the wirings look like a complete mess. You need to get rid of rodents in your house and garage. That's where you start.
Greetings! As noted in the Original Post, the vehicle belongs to a widowed neighbor lady. Her husband will be passed away 2 years this coming Saturday. Consequently neither the vehicle nor the garage with the mice are mine. When her husband was alive I know that he kept the trapline and mouse poison available. Losing a spouse and life long partner changes a lot of things.
Old May 30th, 2024, 12:35 PM
CF Beginner

Smile

Originally Posted by jfmorris
Wow! I've been watching this discussion with interest the past few days, and am so glad you found the issue. I hate rats and mice! Squirrels too (had one get in my attic recently). They are so destructive.

You are an amazing neighbor, and God bless you for going above and beyond to help the widow lady in your neighborhood. I know this was a LOT of time and effort on your part to fix her car, and know that she appreciates it.
Thank you sir for the kind words. I help people as much as I can. Growing up on a farm in the country teaches one to help their neighbors. I agree on the squirrels and rodents. I had a deer stand that I didn't construct properly that had mice getting inside, and squirrels eating up the outside. It became known as the squirrel condo! I have solved those issues and all my stands are pretty much mouse, coon and squirrel proof these days. Makes life much easier. I mostly just worked on the Suburban when I was finished with my work here on the farm. I'm so thankful for the help that I received here on the forum. Saved me a ton of time studying a schematic and trying to figure it out on my own. They instructed me step by step. All I needed to do was follow their instructions. Piece of cake thanks to a couple of great forum members!
jfmorris (May 30th, 2024)