Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2005 Suburban 1500 LT - Smelling Gas

Search this Thread

Old September 21st, 2015, 10:58 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 Suburban 1500 LT - Smelling Gas

Hello all,

First time posting a problem here. I recently got a P0449 Evap Emissions code. I replaced the canister and have had zero issues with the code coming back. Since that time, however, I'm noticing more and more of a gas smell, both inside the vehicle and out. Last weekend, I crawled under and noticed from fuel collection on the bottom of the tank, coming down from the drivers side.

Could I have damaged the line/connection/seal from the EVAP canister to the fuel tank when I replaced the part? I used the existing line/connection. I have a spare hose/clamps and am considering replacing the existing line, but first wanted to see if this was a common issue and/or easy fix.

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks,

CB9
Old September 22nd, 2015, 6:27 PM
CF Active Member

You might want to do a smoke test on the evap lines to see if there is a problem with the line leaking. Either way, this will tell you if the line you are concerned about or it could be another line. Unfortunately, gas odors can come from a number of areas. You may want to also check undet the hood and take a look at the fuel pressure regulator.

Good luck with your repair.
Old September 23rd, 2015, 2:18 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by mulmur1
You might want to do a smoke test on the evap lines to see if there is a problem with the line leaking. Either way, this will tell you if the line you are concerned about or it could be another line. Unfortunately, gas odors can come from a number of areas. You may want to also check undet the hood and take a look at the fuel pressure regulator.

Good luck with your repair.
Thanks - I'll try a few things this weekend and see where we get. The fuel collecting on the underside of the tank leads me to believe it likely is stemming from the EVAP canister hose. I'm guessing I busted the seal when I replaced it. I have a hose & clamps at home, so maybe I'll try that first and see if it fixes things - shouldn't be too tough and I already have the parts.

I'll report back with my findings.