Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2005 Suburban DVD player

Search this Thread

Old June 1st, 2011, 10:34 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 Suburban DVD player

New member looking for some help. I have a 2005 with the factory rear seat DVD player (sunroof equipped) that the player has stopped working in. I have removed the player from the ceiling (3-10mm bolts and one quick connect wire plug) and now have a hole some 19 inches wide to cover. I can find all kinds of replacements out there, but none that will cover this size hole. Not to mention the interface with the factory radio such that the audio can play over the the truck speakers.

I can buy any number of units with a 9-14 inch screen (as opposed to the factory 7 inch), but none will cover the hole in the headliner and none appear to interface with the factory front end. I suspect that the wiring can be figured out and spliced (another thread), but unless I can find some way to cover the opening I will abandon this system and go to the headrest option.

Does anyone know of an adapter that covers the existing hole and allows the installation of an aftermarket player?

Thanks for the help.
Old June 1st, 2011, 10:41 PM
Administrator

Received 170 Likes on 168 Posts

Welcome to the forum.

Might check w/ Crutchfield. Otherwise you might have to make something out of plastic and paint it.

Anything bigger than the stock screen will completely block your rear view mirror.

Saw Panasonic 9" portables for $99.
Old June 3rd, 2011, 3:46 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks for the feedback. I've checked with Crutchfield and all they can say is "we got nuthin". At this point, I suspect that i will make something out of wood or aluminum that uses the 3 bolts to attach to the roof. Then, I can mount something to that and call it a day. Where do I find the wiring code for the plug in to the existing DVD player? I have to think that it has a power in, ground and then speaker left and right (+/-) out that I can wire to the new player so I can play it over the car system like I can/could with the old system.
Old June 3rd, 2011, 4:26 PM
Administrator

Received 45 Likes on 45 Posts

Check with a local custom radio shop, if they don't have something they can probably manufacture something for you with matching material and can probably also fix you up with an adapter or at least a wire description...
Maybe consider putting a disco ball in....
Old June 4th, 2011, 9:17 PM
Administrator

As far as a wiring diagram, the FSM is probably the best place unless you can find something on-line thru a Google search, maybe a DIY site.
Old June 7th, 2011, 10:23 PM
CF Beginner

FSM? Factory Service Manual? I don't have one; anybody want to give this a go? I am at the point now where I think the plan will be to get a nice piece of wood to cover the hole, finish it with stain/paint (or whatever my wife tells me looks best) and bolt that to the 3 bolts holes already there and threaded. I'll get one of the players off of eBay and wire it in to the existing system (assuming someone can help with the wiring plan) and then bolt the new player to the wood. This stuff can get to be a pain to resolve, but the penalty if we don't resolve it is a useless device in the truck.

Thanks for all the help.
Old June 8th, 2011, 12:32 AM
Administrator

Might check to see who the dealer has install aftermarket electronics and ask them about some mounting options. I've seen aftermarket units installed that look factory.