Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2005 Suburban LT A/C issues

Search this Thread

Old June 24th, 2022, 2:04 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2005 Suburban LT A/C issues

Hello all. New member here. I have a 2005 Suburban LT with the digital dual climate zone and auto setting. Just had the compressor replaced Monday and it still is having some issues.

When running at highway speeds, the ac blows cold as ice (45-50 degrees). When you slow down or come to a stop, it goes up to about 80 degrees. I have an automotive thermometer in the main vent next to the radio to tell where it’s sitting. I know this week in Florida is super hot and that the system would struggle some but why the extreme fluctuation? Bottom line is, I’m missing something and need some help.

Also, last year I replaced the electric fans while chasing an overheating issue which ended up being the oil pump.
Old June 24th, 2022, 8:20 PM
CF Monarch

Received 263 Likes on 255 Posts

Originally Posted by Ripp1984
Hello all. New member here. I have a 2005 Suburban LT with the digital dual climate zone and auto setting. Just had the compressor replaced Monday and it still is having some issues.

When running at highway speeds, the ac blows cold as ice (45-50 degrees). When you slow down or come to a stop, it goes up to about 80 degrees. I have an automotive thermometer in the main vent next to the radio to tell where it’s sitting. I know this week in Florida is super hot and that the system would struggle some but why the extreme fluctuation? Bottom line is, I’m missing something and need some help.

Also, last year I replaced the electric fans while chasing an overheating issue which ended up being the oil pump.
My guess is that you didn't change out the accumulator or the orifice tube. 50 degrees is way too high and 45 F is high normal IMO.. Tell me what you did to it and I can be more precise. As an example, my 24 year old K-1500 runs at 42 F, and that's saying something. Personally, I am guessing you did not pump all the air out of the system. I do not mean to be rough on you, as you are a novice, and I'm a pro at auto A/C systems.
Old June 24th, 2022, 9:48 PM
Administrator

Received 170 Likes on 168 Posts

Welcome to the forum.
Old June 25th, 2022, 8:18 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 166 Likes on 137 Posts

I have a 2005 Suburban LT with the digital dual climate zone and auto setting. Just had the compressor replaced Monday and it still is having some issues.

When running at highway speeds, the ac blows cold as ice (45-50 degrees). When you slow down or come to a stop, it goes up to about 80 degrees. I know this week in Florida is super hot and that the system would struggle some but why the extreme fluctuation? Bottom line is, I’m missing something and need some help.

1. WHY did you have the compressor replaced? Leak? Seized? Breaking AC belt? Poor performance? We had a 2005 Yukon Denali set up the same, so somewhat familiar with their AC.

2. Are your electric fans behind the radiator BOTH working full time???? And are they both pulling air from front rearwards towards the engine?

3. Are you sure that the compressor was the correct one for dual air?

4. When you come to a stop and the AC performance is bad, open the hood and use a flashlight to determine whether the AC compressor drive plate (the center disc) is actually turning, and not just the outer AC clutch pulley.

5. I'm in Arizona, and you folks in Florida have no idea what heat really is....

Last edited by Cusser; June 25th, 2022 at 8:21 AM.
Old June 29th, 2022, 9:51 AM
CF Beginner

Sorry for the late response guys. So I had the compressor replaced due to poor performance. The A/C guy I took it to said that when he took the old compressor off it was stock and had metal in the orifice tube and that it was starting to come apart.

As I stated before, I replaced the radiator fans last year and literally the same day the A/C decided it wanted to quit working properly. Could it be something to do with the new fans? I have the original ones still sitting in my garage and have considered putting them back in to see if there is a difference.

And if at all possible, can we leave the condescension out of replies. Not being a jerk but I am a novice after all and trying to find answers so I can get my girl operating right again.

Thanks
Old June 29th, 2022, 12:48 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 166 Likes on 137 Posts

As I stated before, I replaced the radiator fans last year and literally the same day the A/C decided it wanted to quit working properly. Could it be something to do with the new fans? I have the original ones still sitting in my garage and have considered putting them back in to see if there is a difference.
Do the new fans direct the air though the condenser and radiator from front of vehicle to the rear? I just wonder if the replacement fans spin in the "wrong"{ direction. Or could be coincidental...

Old October 3rd, 2022, 2:37 PM
CF Beginner

Default Update

So, if you’ll forgive my lack of speedy updates on here. Lol. The ac issue ended up being the radiator fans. I put the stock ones back in and the system started working perfectly! Thanks for all the suggestions and advice.

Gonna start another thread for an additional issue that just popped up this past week.
The following users liked this post:
repairman54 (October 4th, 2022)