Chevrolet  Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums

Chevrolet Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/)
-   Tahoe & Suburban (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/tahoe-suburban-25/)
-   -   2005 Suburban Speedo not working properly (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/tahoe-suburban-25/2005-suburban-speedo-not-working-properly-38895/)

Imposter71 January 4th, 2011 4:13 PM

2005 Suburban Speedo not working properly

Hello. New to the forum but lurked some before I joined. Seems like a knowledgeable, helpful group. Just recently got a 2005 Suburban LT. Has a intermittant speedo problem. Sometimes works, sometimes not at all, and sometimes doesn't read correctly. Cruise works wether or not the speedo is working and the odometer and associated ( avg milage, trip, etc) seems to work as well. Xfer case was replaced before I got it but not sure if that had anything to do with it, and I don't have a diagram (yet) to check wire connections. All other gauges seem to work fine, just the speedo acting up.
Any comments/suggestions as to where to start troubleshooting are greatly appreciated. :confused:

thanks,

Tom

Jerri Jarmer January 14th, 2012 11:01 PM

2005 speedometer works intermittently

I have the same problem with my 2005. I have owned since it was new. Milage at 70k. Anyone have any suggestions?
Jerri

Imposter71 January 16th, 2012 7:38 AM

FYI - I never did do anything about mine. From what I read it seemed to point to the stepper motor(?) going bad. Didn't want to sink money into the speedo and then have the others possibly go as well - thought it would be better to do all at once or replace the cluster if I could find a used one cheap. In the meantime I have a garmin GPS that tells my speed. Since all my other gauges work and that tells me how fast I am going it has dropped down the priority list for me. Mine has other more important issues I need to take care of first. Good luck.

JimJ January 16th, 2012 9:44 AM

Look at the ads on this site. myairbags.com for repair for less than $50.

slw210 January 16th, 2012 11:40 AM

At an '05 with 70k the Class Action Law suit should have you covered for dealer repairs.

See THIS

I just use a GPS for speed.

Yellow Yota January 30th, 2012 8:34 PM

My '05 had 90,000 when this happened. After some research and diagnostics, we determined that my trouble was in the instrument cluster. It takes all of about 5 minutes to remove it with only a nut driver. I shipped it off to Tacoma Speedometer and had it back in less than a week. They have a one day turn around on their end. They replace the motors with OEM parts, replace LED's, and clean everything out.
It was about $200.00, but it was fast. And they used real parts. Not the crap you'll find in a $50.00 instrument cluster. Been flawless since I put it back in. Reinstall was also a 5 minute job.

adam86107 January 31st, 2012 12:04 AM

I have an 04 silverado and got my cluster replaced a few years back due to a recall. You may want to take it in maybe the suburban was effected also.

terpsmandan February 7th, 2012 6:22 PM

Unfortunatly my Suburban falls out of the VIN range, but I have seen clusters on ebay for $125 to $200 with core exchange.

trunk37 February 28th, 2012 9:51 PM

Stepper motor replacement

I had the same problem with my 2003 Silverado. I followed the directions for speedometer repair on this site and all is good again. Cost about $25-30 dollars.

marcus6701 March 25th, 2012 9:53 PM

The guage cluster on these vehicles does not have a recall but it is a known problem with GM. I have a packet of papers the dealer gave me 2 years ago when I bought an '03 burb 2500. Had my cluster replaced for free. The speedo hung at 55 mph the day I drove it home! Talk to a dealer. Covers '03-'05 models
Doc. ID: 2253005
#07187c: Special Coverage Adjustment-Instrument Panel Cluster Guage Needle Function-