Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2007-2014 Used Tahoe Advice/Help

Search this Thread

Old May 31st, 2015, 12:13 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007-2014 Used Tahoe Advice/Help

Hello, I'm in the market for a used Tahoe and had a few general questions.

This review _seemed_ helpful
Auto Trader Recommendations

We recommend sticking to 2009-or-later Tahoes. This is due to reports of excessive oil consumption and dashboard cracking on 2007 models, and the fact that most 2007-2008 models came with the less-efficient 4-speed automatic transmission and not the more flexible 6-speed unit that began in 2009.
2007-2013 Chevrolet Tahoe Used Car Review - Autotrader

1) Do you guys agree to try and steer towards 2009-2014 models? I see you have quite the thread on the 2007 cracked dashes

In that review they listed some of the new standard/optional equipment as the years go on. I was hoping for something similar to 2014 Tahoe: Options & Z71 Package | Chevrolet

2) Is there a place to view standard options year by year for each trim package?
2b) How accurate have you found VIN decoders to be? I saw the warning on this site's vin decoder, curious how often it is "wrong"

3) Those with nav and/or backup camera. Do you like it or would you go aftermarket with something more modern. I saw it became an option for 2009 but I'm not sure when it became standard like the 2014 model states

4) Are the blind zone alerts any good?

5) Bonus question: http://goo.gl/QD1S5G is that a good deal?

Thank you for any help, looking forward to my "new to me" Tahoe

Last edited by cbuckeye20; May 31st, 2015 at 12:16 PM.
Old May 31st, 2015, 3:21 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

1) Personally, I steer clear of the 5.3 motor, and all AFM motors. That kinda disqualifies all Tahoes. Just bought an '09 Sierra Denali with the 6.2, and I have a '08 Burb with the 6.0.

2) Are you looking for specific options? Most online sites like Autotrader do a pretty good job listing all the options.

3) The backup camera is great, the nav system is worthless. Google maps on my Note 4 is light years ahead of the nav system in my Burb.

4) Blind spot alerts are what they are. I have them on my wife's car - don't really see the point, but they work as promised.

5) I'm guessing that '12 Tahoe you linked to is a 1LT. No nav/backup camera, no memory seats, no autodimming rearview mirror, single-speed transfer case, no power folding mirrors. Seems like a decent price.
Old June 1st, 2015, 7:51 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Whoa, was not expecting that about the engines. I assume GMC shares the same?

We are replacing our 09 Escape with something that can tow 6500 of trailer + horses maybe 10 times a year. Other purpose would be road trips with family + dogs.

The only must haves are 4WD and at least backup beeps.

Nice to have would be leather, heated seats, and the backup camera/nav. But if nav is crappy/dated I'm fine with aftermarket
Old June 1st, 2015, 8:21 AM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Tahoe

Sadly GM wins this category (full size SUV), but don't discount the Toyota, but I don't know it's tow rating off the top of my head.

I like the blind zone alerts. 09 Added Bluetooth, cooled seats, and built in brake controller, as well as the 6 speed auto.

The head unit/sat nav was fine 6 years ago, but in tech terms, that's like a black and white TV vs. your iPhone.

Ford's offering is fugly inside and out.

If towing is your game, there are some nice offerings from RAM w/a 4 door pickup style vehicle. GM and newer RAMS seem to understand that while I need to tow (boat), I don't want a 'truck' on the inside.
Old June 1st, 2015, 6:56 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

A Suburban is going to be a much better tow vehicle. It'll be more likely to have the towing package (extra coolers, integrated brake controller, etc.), will be more likely to have 3.73 axles, and the longer wheelbase will make it much more stable. Plus, a ton more cargo room on the inside. The Tahoe has very little room behind the third row. My Suburban will swallow two weeks' of gear for a family of 5 without using the roof rack, and we still have room for 7 passengers.

Many Tahoe owners end up saying, "Gee, I wish I'd gotten the Suburban instead."
No Suburban owner has ever said, "Gee, I wish I'd gotten the Tahoe instead."

The backup camera is awesome for hitching up a trailer. No more spotter needed. I can put the ball directly under the trailer first time every time.
Old June 1st, 2015, 10:26 PM
Administrator

Received 170 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by SabrToothSqrl
Sadly GM wins this category (full size SUV), but don't discount the Toyota, but I don't know it's tow rating off the top of my head.
2014 Sequoia can tow 7100 (4WD) or 7400 (2WD).
Old June 2nd, 2015, 6:55 AM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Toyota

The inside is just so... truck though... you'd think they'd follow the Suburban and make it softer inside.

And that front end, although better, isn't winning any beauty contests... but being a Toyota it should run until the sun burns out...