Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2007 Rear Brake Problem!?

Search this Thread

Old September 6th, 2006, 12:18 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 Rear Brake Problem!?

I have a 07 ltz 4wd and am having some problems with the brakes. It has been in to the dealership twice now for attempted diagnosof the problem and both times they told me that they see/find nothing out of the ordinary. Here is the problem......during a panic stop from 45mph plus i get this very audiable screeching sound from the rear of the car. Now this can also happen if i am breakin hard from around 55mph. I took a tech on a drive and showed him he said it was just the noise that they make and it was normal. I told him that he was full of it and that i was goin to do it again and make him watch the tires as i did it. So we went to a road with no traffic and i let him out....as i came up to him at about 45mph i pushed the breaks about 3/4 of the way down....the rear wheels locked up and left skid marks!!!!!! He is still sayin there is no problem...........AM I CRAZY TO THINK THIS IS NOT RIGHT, OR IS THIS NORMAL!!!!!!!!
Old September 6th, 2006, 4:12 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: 2007 Rear Brake Problem!?

My 4X4 LTZ is in the shop today, I had them check for available updates to the programming and my service manager told me I was up to date on everything except my braking. He told me they didn't have the new program at the shop yet but would try to get it by my next service. I have my truck in about twice a month at the dealership for regular maintenance work so I'm going to make sure they check that next time. I haven't noticed any problems stopping, although I haven't had any panic stops yet. Good luck

Jason
Old September 6th, 2006, 4:59 PM
CF Beginner

How can that be normal if it has Anti-Lock Brakes???
Old September 6th, 2006, 10:59 PM
CF Beginner

My argument exactly.....and the service managers response was the rear brakes are not as powerful as the front, and it is a heavy vehicle. but ge this....I WENT TO THE DEALERSHIP TODAY TO GET THE BRUSH GUARD I ORDERED PUT ON AND SAW THE SERVICE MANAGER AND TOLD HIM THAT I THOUGHT THE PROBLEM WAS GETTING WORSE..due tot he fact that when i pull my boat the front wheels will stay stopped, and the boat will pull the truck down the ramp a little with the e-brake on (the front wheels are stationary, and the rear are turning.) HIS EXACT WORDS TO ME WERE "YOU ARE JUST TRYING TO FIND SOMETHING WRONG WITH THIS VEHICLE BACAUSE YOU DON'T WANT THE PAYMENT ANYMORE!!!! WITHOUT HITTING HIM I VERY CALMLY TOLD HIM THAT THE VEHICLE WAS PAID I N FULL AT PURCHASE AND THAT HE COULD GO TO HELL!! well needless to say i am still very angry, yes there are things wrong with this truck that need to be fixed and that i know are not right...anywayz sorry to witch to you guys but this is gettin crazy..........if any of you know of the same brake problem, or are having it/had it, please let me know how your situation is goin!......thanks a bunch.
Matt
Old September 6th, 2006, 11:35 PM
CF Beginner

Damn!!! Call Chevy Headquarters and repot the *******. maybe you will get a year of free washes or something. Then you can bother the manager everytime you get your car washed!!!!!!!LOL
Old September 7th, 2006, 3:55 AM
CF Active Member

Where is that Dealer? I really want to buy a Car from Him. Yes, call GM and talk to a Representative the has power over the dealerships. Better yet, Take it to another Dealer and talk to The Manager, explain Your problem with the other dealership and ask Him politely ( Just to show that the problem isn't You ) to have His Service department please look at the problem. He might just have a better in at GM than the average Guy.
Old September 11th, 2006, 4:05 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: MEVtopsail

Ok well i guess it is time for me to jump into this argument.....I am a salesmen at a dealership in NC, i bought a new 07 ltz and love the truck, and it is mostly all i sell. But i had a 02, and 05 both of them 4wd and i got 16.7 on the lie-o-meter, living at the same house, and driving the same roads and speeds to work.....I now have a fully broke in 07, and I get 15.3 on the meter. THE FUEL ECONOMY IS WORSE. All the literature the dealers get promise great things about dod/afm, but i will tell you now Mr. ZX1100F1, IT DOES NOT WORK AS IT IS MARKETED!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You can on average take 10% off the hwy mpg number and that will be most cars averages. NO ONE IS EVEN GETTIN THE ALLEDGED CITY MPG!!!! Granted people do not buy these for great gas milage, nor do i tell them they will get it...i tell them once you have broken in a 2wd you will average around 16.5, 4wd 15.5, and with the driving conditions on the coast of nc i have yet to be proven wrong. So to wrap this sillyness up the dod does not work as advertised, and if you want proof go on a test prive and watch the instant screen, on a truck with no miles it is even harder to get it to drop down to 4. Now if you are happy with the 5.3L dod, then my question to you is way are the AWD 6.2L 07 Escalades getting 17mpg after break in!!!

Matt you must have lost your job selling Tahoe's huh?
Old September 11th, 2006, 4:14 PM
CF Active Member

ZX:

Doesn't the Escalade have a six speed trans? Wouldn't that help the gas mileage. I don't sell cars, but even I can figure that out.

Jason
Old September 12th, 2006, 2:19 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Jason,
The reality is that the Escalade AWD is rated at 13 City / 19 Highway MPG which is a couple less than a 4X4 Tahoe and that is precisely what the difference is in tests.

The 2007 Escalade’s 6 –speed auto transmission has a slightly higher top gear ratio of 0.667 vs. the 07 Tahoe’s of 0.700 which is not going to provide much in real world savings on the Highway but the 6 gears offer a more refined experience during city driving.
The Escalade has a larger, more powerful engine that has no problem turning the high 3.42 rear gear set (that is the only ratio offered), the new engine also has Variable Valve Timing (VVT) that enables it operate more efficiently than an engine without VVT.
The Cadillac 6.2L engine is based on the 6.0 Vortec that gets about 15 MPG Hwy in the Suburban and in comparison it makes more power and gets better fuel economy (about 2 more MPG) than the 6.0L but not better than the 5.3L.

One drawback is that for this 6.2L engine to make peak power and deliver its best fuel economy you must use Premium Unleaded, if you use Premium in your Tahoe you are just wasting your money.

If someone were to buy the Escalade over the Tahoe based on Matt’s advice they would be spending more for worse fuel economy.
Old September 12th, 2006, 6:02 PM
CF Active Member

Dave:

One of the techs at the dealership reccomended I use premium when towing. From the sound of your post this isn't neccessary?

Jason

Quick Reply: 2007 Rear Brake Problem!?