Chevrolet  Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums

Chevrolet Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/)
-   Tahoe & Suburban (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/tahoe-suburban-25/)
-   -   2008 Suburban cruise control not working (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/tahoe-suburban-25/2008-suburban-cruise-control-not-working-35852/)

SabrToothSqrl May 19th, 2011 12:34 PM

boat

yea, that's a common saying... sadly this one isn't mine, just one I was asked to work on. I have 3 of my own (boat + 2 jet skis) and usually end up working on my dads...which has twin 525s in it (now... we pulled the 502s)

got the new impeller in the water pump, and did what i feared I would... reversed the in/out hoses... took an extra 45 min, but i fixed it... ran fine w/the hose on land, now to get it on the water! then get it SOLD.

robeyclark@mindspring.com July 15th, 2011 7:19 AM

Cruise control engagement fixed!

Fixed my 2008 Tahoe's cruise control not engaging by replacing the Brake Pedal switch. $18 part plus labor to replace. Thanks to this forum it was an easy fix.

73shark July 15th, 2011 1:53 PM

Welcome to the forum.

Thanks for the DIY info.

prostec March 24th, 2014 12:29 PM

I took the advice in this column and purchased the AC Delco part from Chevrolet parts store. Replaced the Brake Light Swith P/N D1539J 25981009 on my 2008 Suburban. The cruise control light comes on but the cruise would not kick in. Now it does after replacing this switch. Thank You -- Prostec

in2pro March 24th, 2014 8:29 PM

Originally Posted by prostec (Post 271789)
I took the advice in this column and purchased the AC Delco part from Chevrolet parts store. Replaced the Brake Light Swith P/N D1539J 25981009 on my 2008 Suburban. The cruise control light comes on but the cruise would not kick in. Now it does after replacing this switch. Thank You -- Prostec

Welcome to the forum :)
Thanks for the follow up that the forum information worked for you :cool:

BlackRockLabs August 19th, 2014 1:08 PM

Cruise Control Issue

Originally Posted by dorr0002 (Post 157375)
New updated on the cruise control issue. I got it back from the dealer and they said it was a bad brake switch located on the brake pedal. I guess I have to decide if it is worth 200 dollars to have cruise control right now.

I just bought my 2008 Suburban 1500 LTZ last week and the cruise did not work either. It is at the Dealership here in INDY and they stated it was the same problem as you stated your dealer stated. They will split the cost with me since I just purchased it. :rolleyes:

bird August 19th, 2014 3:00 PM

My dealer covered my brake sensor ($10 their cost), but they wouldn't cover the door lock actuator during the first month...this is why I now trash talk STARK Chevrolet in Wisconsin FOREVER. I just spent $19k and they couldn't fix a $150 issue? I told them to GET LOST.

p.s.
I removed the Dealer decal off the back of my truck, no free advertising for them!

Originally Posted by BlackRockLabs (Post 283155)
I just bought my 2008 Suburban 1500 LTZ last week and the cruise did not work either. It is at the Dealership here in INDY and they stated it was the same problem as you stated your dealer stated. They will split the cost with me since I just purchased it. :rolleyes:

in2pro August 19th, 2014 5:06 PM

Originally Posted by bird (Post 283163)
I removed the Dealer decal off the back of my truck, no free advertising for them!

I agree no free advertising unless they earned it! every vehicle I have purchased, the first thing done when I get it home is start de-badging the dealer stickers, decals and license plate frames...:p

2009ChevyLTZ June 2nd, 2015 11:51 AM

this is a very simple fix. I picked up the brake light switch at the local parts store for 20 bucks. Removed the 10mm bolt and the clip. The clip is tricky in that it slides up in order to remove it. Unplug the switch and remove it, replace it in the opposite order. Took about 10 minutes to replace. The cruise control was fixed.

BurbinMomma August 7th, 2015 12:01 PM

Fixed!

I was a bit confused a few months back because I was told to replace the "Brake pedal position switch". Oh, how incorrect...but it was cheap so I replaced it anyway. I ordered my Brake light switch from Amazon for $11 & it arrived today. The hardest part of the job for me was searching through hubby's tools and NOT finding a 10mm wrench. I substituted by using adjustable pliers (that kept slipping the adjustment) and a 10mm socket by hand once it was loose enough.
There's a decent amount of locktite on the bolt, so it took some force.
I will suggest a headlamp to give a little extra light without holding a flashlight in your teeth (yea, I tried that first).
Actual work time (minus unsuccessful tool location) was about 5-10minutes. Took my beastly Burb around the neighborhood and had working cruise for the first time in nearly 4 years!
If your cruise is out, skip the dealership & DIY!

2007 Burb 1500 5.3 V8, Z71