Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

How many here tow with their Suburban/Tahoe?

Search this Thread

Old April 16th, 2018, 2:46 PM
CF Active Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default How many here tow with their Suburban/Tahoe?

I bought my Suburban 2000 (1500 with a new-ish engine) with the intent to pull my camper. I have towed it on a few trips. The camper is a 2017, 27 foot Coleman 262BH with a slideout. It weighs 5800 dry. I add 1000 LBS to that for safety when considering what I might actually be towing, even though I don't tow with anything in the tanks. It's just my wife and I and a couple of pug dogs. For those of you that tow with the Suburban/Tahoe I'm wondering how it's working out for you.

My impressions: The Suburban long wheel base is great. It really does ride with more stability than I expected. I added Sumo SuperSprings which keep everything flat (as well as a weight distribution hitch). The 5.3 and 4L60e combination is OK, once you lean how to use it. I feel like the later model Burbs probably tow a little better as the newer engines have more power and the newer transmissions do a better job of putting that power to the wheels. I love the huge climate controlled space of the burb. The air conditioner doesn't seem to rob the vehicle of any meaningful power while towing.

The reason I'm asking is that I'll have my wife's van paid off in a year and I'd like to replace my old Suburban. But, not sure if I couldn't do a better job of towing with a crew cab truck (Silverado, Sierra, F-150, Ram 1500, etc..) with the 5 liter. The biggest thing is we need extra space for carrying the dogs with us out on the road. According to the sticker on the door my weight limit is 7200 LBS.

So far the weakness in the Suburban (of that era) seems to be the differential. I had it rebuilt last year (and it wasn't cheap). I have noticed that it gets quite hot when towing (always use synthetic gear oil in these things when towing).

Any experience with towing campers and such appreciated.
Old April 16th, 2018, 6:41 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

I had the same rear axle issue with my '01 half-ton Suburban. My best friend now owns it, but it's wearing rear axle #4 precisely because I was towing to much big stuff with it.

They're hard to find, and not cheap when you do, but a 2500 Suburban sounds like it would fit your needs pretty well. Most people naturally assume the 2500 is just a slightly beef-ed up version of the 1500, but that's not the case at all. Under the body, they're two completely different trucks. Everything in the 2500 is bigger/stronger - frame, brakes, suspension, axles, transmission, engine. And you get payload ratings north of 2000 lbs. Perfect example is the rear axle. The 2500s get the AA 10.5" full floater. While it's rated to 5500 lbs in the Suburban, limited by the rear tires' weight limit, the axle itself is rated by AA for up to 8600 lbs.

I love my 2500, and I'll own one until the day I die. I'm actually seriously considering buying a second one, and putting it into storage, for use when my current 2500 finally gives up the ghost.
Old April 17th, 2018, 7:14 AM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I used to tow a 5k boat + fuel + trailer = about 7k. Tows well enough. Sold that boat however and the new boat is 10k... so I borrow a F350 to tow that.

WOW. I thought the Tahoe towed well... well... if you want to tow.. find a F350! lol. It wasn't even a diesel, and man did it feel like you could haul a house!

of course it also rode like the shocks had been replaced by 2x4s... so... it's all give and take...
Old April 17th, 2018, 2:26 PM
CF Active Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There's a 1993, 2500 Burb for sale right down the street. It has the 454 and turbo 400. It's clean as a whistle and has 4x4. The used car lot is asking just under $6,000.00 for it. The reason I haven't gotten it is that it would be my daily driver and I know from when I owned a motorhome with that drive train that the gas will kill me. I don't mind the age all that much as I do all my own repairs. My 5.3 does pretty decent on gas mileage so, it's a good mix for now. I plan to replace my burb next year when the van gets paid off.

https://www.timthecarmantaylor.com/i...202500/345295/