Chevrolet  Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums

Chevrolet Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/)
-   Tahoe & Suburban (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/tahoe-suburban-25/)
-   -   2009 Suburban burns oil (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/tahoe-suburban-25/2009-suburban-burns-oil-57281/)

Ponch March 25th, 2013 12:30 AM

2009 Suburban burns oil

I bought a 2009 Suburban new in May of 2009. I was wondering have their been issues with these vehicles burning oil? It's a 1500 with the flex fuel 5.3L aluminum engine. Around 45-50K miles or so I started noticing increased oil consumption, now at about 3 quarts in 5000 miles, which is the normal change interval I follow. I use Mobil Clean 5000 5w-30 with AC/Delco filters and the dealer changed the oil when I didn't feel like it, so whatever they used is what they used. At first I thought that the dealer didn't put enough oil in it then I noticed the oil consumption after I changed it. The valve train has started to sound like a singer sowing machine too. I also noticed the pinion seal on the front diff seeping last oil change and the 4 wheel drive hasn't been used that much. Current mileage is 72K.

Overall, the quality of the vehicle has been somewhat disappointing. I've had window switches go bad, I have to replace two door lock actuators and there is plastichrome peeling too. I've also had to have the door trim reglued too as it peeled up on a few doors. It's my first new GM, but I've owned all sorts of GM cars and trucks in my life and judging by this, probably my last. It wasn't an inexpensive vehicle and it's disappointing to have these issues.

in2pro March 25th, 2013 7:20 AM

Ponch Welcome to the forum..
The peeling door handles may be eligible for free replacement at your local dealer as a safety issue... some of the other issues including the oil consumption are known issues... you might start with replacing the PCV for the oil consumption...do a forum search for the oil consumption and you will see many items :(

Do you have the cracked dash issue as well?

Ponch March 25th, 2013 8:01 AM

Originally Posted by in2pro (Post 244255)
Ponch Welcome to the forum..
The peeling door handles may be eligible for free replacement at your local dealer as a safety issue... some of the other issues including the oil consumption are known issues... you might start with replacing the PCV for the oil consumption...do a forum search for the oil consumption and you will see many items :(

Do you have the cracked dash issue as well?

No cracked dash, yet. The peeling door trim is more annoying. It made the car look like a POS. The most concerning is the oil consumption and the lifter noise. I moved to AZ last year and I don't know a reputable dealer. I have a powertrain warranty until 100K miles and 2014. I have a feeling if I go to the dealer, they'll say that is normal or they all do that. The dealer in Iowa wouldn't cover the door trim under warranty.

Chevrolet Customer Service March 25th, 2013 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by Ponch (Post 244244)
I bought a 2009 Suburban new in May of 2009. I was wondering have their been issues with these vehicles burning oil? It's a 1500 with the flex fuel 5.3L aluminum engine. Around 45-50K miles or so I started noticing increased oil consumption, now at about 3 quarts in 5000 miles, which is the normal change interval I follow. I use Mobil Clean 5000 5w-30 with AC/Delco filters and the dealer changed the oil when I didn't feel like it, so whatever they used is what they used. At first I thought that the dealer didn't put enough oil in it then I noticed the oil consumption after I changed it. The valve train has started to sound like a singer sowing machine too. I also noticed the pinion seal on the front diff seeping last oil change and the 4 wheel drive hasn't been used that much. Current mileage is 72K.

Overall, the quality of the vehicle has been somewhat disappointing. I've had window switches go bad, I have to replace two door lock actuators and there is plastichrome peeling too. I've also had to have the door trim reglued too as it peeled up on a few doors. It's my first new GM, but I've owned all sorts of GM cars and trucks in my life and judging by this, probably my last. It wasn't an inexpensive vehicle and it's disappointing to have these issues.

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> Ponch,

I’m sorry you are experiencing these issues with your vehicle. Would you please PM your VIN, so I may look into this further.

I look forward to your reply.

Louis
GM Customer Service

kevinkpk March 25th, 2013 3:05 PM

Originally Posted by Ponch (Post 244258)
No cracked dash, yet. The peeling door trim is more annoying. It made the car look like a POS. The most concerning is the oil consumption and the lifter noise. I moved to AZ last year and I don't know a reputable dealer. I have a powertrain warranty until 100K miles and 2014. I have a feeling if I go to the dealer, they'll say that is normal or they all do that. The dealer in Iowa wouldn't cover the door trim under warranty.

You would think chevy would have learned the aluminum block/engine lesson from the vega. Since it is under warrenty, take it to the dealer. Dosen't matter which dealer since you are new to the area, you will need to find one anyway.

Ponch March 25th, 2013 3:13 PM

Originally Posted by kevinkpk (Post 244316)
You would think chevy would have learned the aluminum block/engine lesson from the vega. Since it is under warrenty, take it to the dealer. Dosen't matter which dealer since you are new to the area, you will need to find one anyway.

For the most part I don't need a dealer for anything other than warranty issues, which this is. I don't go to a dealer unless it's inconvenient for me to change the oil. Anyway, I did some research and there are two TSBs on this:
10-06-01-007D
10-06-01-008B

Both are relevant to this.

Not sure any would do. Some are better than others.

kevinkpk March 25th, 2013 3:30 PM

Originally Posted by Ponch (Post 244319)
For the most part I don't need a dealer for anything other than warranty issues, which this is. I don't go to a dealer unless it's inconvenient for me to change the oil. Anyway, I did some research and there are two TSBs on this:
10-06-01-007D
10-06-01-008B

Both are relevant to this.

Not sure any would do. Some are better than others.

I don't have any warrenty issues, and don't use dealership either. However, I have found parts for my 96 ac/delco cheaper than auto zone on occasion + some aftermarkets don't carry specific parts, therefore I have to get them from a dealer.

Ponch March 25th, 2013 4:14 PM

Originally Posted by kevinkpk (Post 244323)
I don't have any warrenty issues, and don't use dealership either. However, I have found parts for my 96 ac/delco cheaper than auto zone on occasion + some aftermarkets don't carry specific parts, therefore I have to get them from a dealer.

I am hoping I don't need anything I can't buy from O'Reilly.

Ponch March 26th, 2013 8:16 AM

This says it all

The GM Customer Service person here asked for the VIN, I sent it. I was told there were no recalls. I responded with TSBs that were relevant, and I was told by this person that they don't have access to the TSBs and they are only available to technicians. If I could find them, someone that works for GM should be able to find them as well. That said this person knew they weren't recalls...May be it should be.

73shark March 26th, 2013 4:10 PM

Originally Posted by kevinkpk (Post 244316)
You would think Chevy would have learned the aluminum block/engine lesson from the Vega.

The Vega problem was mainly the fact that owner's didn't monitor oil level and the aluminum block wasn't as tolerant of low oil as were their cast iron brethren. The Vega used the same aluminum as the Trans Am race engines did. The block had a high silicon content and the bores were treated to expose the silicon allowing them to not have to use liners. It depended upon the proper amount of oil to prevent excessive wear.

Do the current SBCs use liners?