Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2015 NAV system worthless

Search this Thread

Old February 16th, 2015, 7:42 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down 2015 NAV system worthless

The Navigation system on my new 2015 Tahoe is basically worthless. I talked with the dealer and he was “surprised.” He had never heard of the problem. He suggested I schedule another service and they could reload the software. I have checked with other 2015 owners and the problem is systemic. They all have the same problems.

Chevy should be embarrassed. I have a Garmin but chose to spend (much) extra $$ for the built-in Nav. The biggest irritation is the system’s inability to do simple math to calculate an ETA. I can enter a 150 mile trip between two points directly on an Interstate highway and the ETA will be off by 2 hours. The Garmin calculates exactly the same route directions (obviously), but gets the ETA correct. Not to mention the map database. I can enter 400 Main St. the system returns 1700 Main St. as the option. I have given up on the voice recognition. Both my Garmin and Iphone get it right.

Tell your friends DO NOT BUY THE NAV SYSTEM! It is waste of money.

GM should get out of the nav business and just display the output of a smart phone. They know how to do it.

BTW, I am a long time Chevy customer. Very disappointed.
Old February 16th, 2015, 10:34 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default This sounds familiar!

I had already posted my displeasure with the GM navigation system on the Silverado/PU thread and since we also have a 2015 Tahoe - the same applies here. With today's technology it should be possible to provide a GPS system capable of finding a location - calculating an ETA - AND giving several options on a route to the destination (AKA Garmin). Unfortunately the suppliers of the navigation system for GM have not mastered those skills to date and it is unknown whether they are working on a solution. If so, this should justify a recall - if not on the basis of safety, certainly on the basis of GM trying to provide a solution for a high priced option that is un-usable in it's "as-built" configuration! Having owned three Tahoe's now (2003 Z71, 2010 Z71 and current 2015 LT), with the first two using our plug-n-play Garmin, we decided to upgrade with the 2015 - BIG mistake - so for any potential buyers reviewing this forum, a word of advice. The Tahoe is still a great vehicle - just buy a Garmin and plug it in!
Old February 16th, 2015, 11:10 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Same complaints in Impala forum.

https://chevroletforum.com/forum/imp...igation-68720/
Old February 16th, 2015, 12:07 PM
Administrator

Received 45 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Frank J
The Navigation system on my new 2015 Tahoe is basically worthless.
GM should get out of the nav business and just display the output of a smart phone. They know how to do it.

BTW, I am a long time Chevy customer. Very disappointed.

I would agree, auto manufactures are putting way to much effort into re-inventing the wheel Google, Garmin, Apple and the like have already perfected... Would much rather see the nav screen mirror whats on my Android phone...(think Chrome Cast)
Old February 16th, 2015, 3:58 PM
CF Addict

Default GM & Technology.

I'm going to quietly smirk and revel in the fact that others are experiencing just how well GM does technology.

5 more days!

I wish you all the best of luck.

I saw an article on head units on jalopnick. Apparently Ferrari uses the same head unit as my 2012 Wrangler.

I don't even know why these companies would try. Just slap a freaking iPad in the dash and call it a day. Build the car. Leave the tech to tech companies.
Old February 17th, 2015, 7:34 AM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I seriously dislike the one in my 2007. Thought about finding the latest upgrade on ebay, but why bother? My phone works about 1000 times better, is faster, easier to use, and easier to read.

At this point the only thing I use the hu for other than the radio is the backup camera, which is a handy feature for me. Oh and the DVD feature when the kids are in the car. It takes so long to try to program an input that the only time I do it is so my wife can see it (she likes to follow along the route). Even then its almost not worth it. :P

Whats funny is I thought I disliked my nav in my '08 avenger.....but even that (1st iteration of mygig) was better than this.
Old February 17th, 2015, 7:56 AM
CF Addict

Default My Gig

the My Gig was light years ahead of GM. In fact, ferarri uses them lol.

I can't find the article, but it was on jalopnik I think, where people were complaining that their $200,000 cars had headunits that were just... awful...

It's industry wide. (Other than the golden child company).

I HATE that I have to stop to enter an address.

My preferred address entry method is to get a call while I'm on the road, with an address. commit it to memory, then while traveling at 70 MPH down the highway, slam the brakes, come to a complete stop in the left lane, then slowly enter the address backwards. By which I mean State first, then city, then street, then number. You know, the exact opposite of how a human would read them to another person.

THEN, if you make ANY mistakes whatsoever, you should have to start all over. Just one more punishment that GM bestows upon us and the now 200 honking cars behind me causing wrecks along the highway because I can't be trusted to push buttons while driving.

I can play angry birds, text, or even remote desktop into 20 different servers and control dozens of web sites. (I work in the Information Technology field), but dammit, I just can't press a button that's on the same screen as my RADIO.

Of course, many of these things are best to not do while driving.

But I do so enjoy it when GM makes that decision for me.

I think part of the reason I loathe these interfaces so much is because I design web stuff for a living... I know what a good program / UI should look like.

Ignorance is bliss.

On my new headunit I can watch 17" full screen adult films while driving and have 100% unrestricted internet access!

Again, not that one should

Last edited by SabrToothSqrl; February 17th, 2015 at 8:03 AM.
Old February 18th, 2015, 7:34 AM
CF Active Member

If anyone could point me in the direction of a new HU that is plug and play and will utilize the backup camera, I am all ears. If it ties into my iphone or any smartphone for that matter (i'm due for a new phone) all the better!
Old February 18th, 2015, 11:36 AM
CF Addict

Default crutchfield

check out crutchfield or sonic electronics

both have 'what fits my car' options.
Old February 18th, 2015, 2:41 PM
CF Active Member

Just checked both. Nothing seems a good fit, either via cost, or whatever "extra" stuff you need to purchase to retain any of the factory stuff. We use the rear entertainment and the backup camera alot, and while I would use "sirius" more than the xm version of sirius I get now, I do use it a fair amount.

Essentially, I just want something better than the awful navigational system thats currently in it. The rest of it works fine for me. Of course the closer you get to this in aftermarket, the price becomes the prohibiting factor.

The sonic electronics did have some better options and prices imo than crutchfield did however.

Quick Reply: 2015 NAV system worthless