Chevrolet  Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums

Chevrolet Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/)
-   Tahoe & Suburban (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/tahoe-suburban-25/)
-   -   2017 gas smell in cabin (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/tahoe-suburban-25/2017-gas-smell-cabin-92493/)

SDfromSD October 6th, 2018 7:13 AM

2017 gas smell in cabin

Hello everyone. Currently have a 2017 Suburban with about 1700 miles on. When starting, and once in a while when driving around, I can smell raw gasoline coming through the vents. It just started a week or so ago. I have an apt at the local dealer on Monday, hopefully they can find something. Couldn’t find much on the Internet recently about this issue. Saw some 2014 trucks with leaking O-rings around an injector causing an issue like this. Hopefully it’s an easy fix and they share what the solution is if they find it.

73shark October 6th, 2018 11:47 AM

Be sure to report back what you find to help others that might have this problem.

SDfromSD October 9th, 2018 4:51 AM

Started the Burb yesterday morning and the cabin wreaked like gas the whole way in to town (5mi). Drove in to the dealership and parked outside. Left the Burb there after talking to the service rep. Got a call at 5:00p that they didn’t find anything. Said they had it up on a hoist and couldn’t find any problems and no TSBs (?). Personally I think the issue is up by the engine, under all those plastic covers. The only thing I can think of is heat kind of “seals” or masks the issue because it’s not as noticeable after driving it a while. I’m assuming it’s leaking where the heat is evaporating it. So now I have to try and drop it off when the issue arises which seems like it’s every cold start. Maybe I should have left it there to have them start it in the morning. Nonetheless I’ll keep trying to hunt this down.

Tdub October 9th, 2018 11:08 AM

Not sure if it helps, but the Ford 5.4l had issues with spark plugs coming loose causing a gas smell through the cabin vents after a cold start.

SDfromSD October 12th, 2018 8:29 AM

It went back in on Wednesday. Luckily they could smell the gas in the cabin and under the hood when I got there. Got a call yesterday that they found an open bulletin on a similar issue. Something to do with o-rings on the injection pump and injectors. Hopefully I’ll get few more details. Likely won’t see it till next week so will have a loaner till then. Will report back with more info next week.
It’s hard to be frustrated when it’s common sense that these things can happen, even if they are new. It’s under warranty and they put you in a 2018 Silverado. I guess if I was paying for the parts and labor it would obviously be a different feeling. First time I’ve ever had a vehicle in for warranty work so new to this.

SDfromSD October 17th, 2018 6:40 AM

Got the Suburban back yesterday. Talked to the service gal and they found a defective o-ring on injector #2. They replaced all o-rings for preventive maintenance. With 1740 miles on now, hopefully I’m not back in at this interval..
Will see how it goes this next week and see if it’s resolved. Just thought I’d post back and let you know what they found.

geo1 October 17th, 2018 7:15 AM

Thanks for the update

73shark October 17th, 2018 8:44 AM

+1. /\ /\ /\