Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900
Old July 22nd, 2015, 2:06 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Steering and Suspension
Print Wikipost

98 suburban steering issues?!

Search this Thread

Old November 30th, 2011, 2:09 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 suburban steering issues?!

I have a 1998 chevy suburban 4x4 7.3L 8600gvw K2500. My power steering pump shaft snapped. I replaced it.Drove great until it snapped again. Replaced it. It snapped again!! I took it to the mechanic, told him my story, he replaced it and told me my steering gear wasn't cycling the fluid and replace it asap.Drove it half a mile home, replaced the steering gear, bled the system, now it acts like it don't have power steering, but the brakes work fine, where they had went out before. I took the belt off and the shaft is not broke.Please someone give me something to check or do. Troy in Washington.
Old December 12th, 2011, 1:48 AM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do yo have over size tires on this truck . like 285 or bigger. could be your problem why the shaft keeps snapping.

Did the service guy fill the gear box with fluid before putting it back on the truck ? check your power steering fluid level also. I would hate to think that your power steering pump went out just after you replaced the steering box. you should always fill the steering box before with fluid before putting back on the truck. it's also good to turn the gears on the bench to get the pump well lubricated. then fill up the power steering pump and bleed. This should have all been done when they replaced the steering box. you should not have to bleed the pump this should have been done already. did you put the new steering box in or the service guy? in any case the above applies
Old December 13th, 2011, 3:04 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for your advise! I plan on exchanging the steering box and try to flush the hydro boost system