Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

99 Tahoe starting problem; fuel or electrical

Search this Thread

Old July 5th, 2008, 3:16 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 Tahoe starting problem; fuel or electrical

About a month ago I tried to start my Tahoe after it had sat for 1-1.5 hours. The engine cranked over fine but as soon as it started and the ignition key returned to the "Run" position, the engine died, almost as if the flow of fuel stopped. This happened about 10 times before the engine finally remained running after the key returned to "Run". I then noticed that the clock had reset to 1:00 so I tought it was a battery issue. I drove a couple miles down the road and stopped at a food stand.I don't remember what prompted me to check, but the rear window hatch was not fully latched which made me believe even more that the dome light being on had drained the battery (but did not explain why it cranked the engine with no problem).

Then again yesterday after the Tahoe sat for about 4 hours it would not start.I noticed that not only had the clock reset to 1:00 but that the dash indicator lights were dimmed and flickering (those that normally come on while starting) and that the door buzzer (I had the door open) was weak. When I shut the door, I heard a thunk in the back and discovered the hatch window again not fully latched and I closed it, checking it to make sure it was latched.Unlike the first time, however, the Tahoe did not eventually start, that is until I realized that as long as I held the key in the "Start" position the engine seemed to get fuel and eventually it continued running after the key was released.After letting the engine run for a while I left to go to a store.While on the highway doing about 75 mph the engine just stalled and the clock reset to 1:00. I was able to get it restarted and it ran fine the rest of the way to the store. WhenI left the store I decided to fuel up as the gauge was showing low (but not empty). Again I had trouble starting the engine, having to hold the key in "Start" position (not knowing what damage it may be doing to the starter). When I arrived at the gas station I discovered my hatch window wide open. I began to think now that the problem with starting the engine was causing the hatch to release.

After fueling the engine started with no problem and I returned home. When I shut off the key, I immediately heard a repeating clicking sound (relay?) coming from the driver's side firewall area (not sure if it was inboard or outboard). The clicking went on for about 5-10 seconds and then stopped.After it stopped I tried to start the engine and had the same problem with starting (and again the clock reset to 1:00). After I got the engine restarted I shut it off and there was no clicking and the engine was restarted again with no problem at all.

So I am unsure if this is fuel pump problem, bad pump relay, battery problem, electrical short (especially considering the hatch has been found unlatched, clock resets to 1:00 and indicator lights and door buzzer seem to be getting lower voltage).

Has anybody experienced a similar situation? Reading through several different posts at several different forums has seemed to indicate the problem could be anything from bad gas tothe theft deterrent system. I have been screwed over by the local GM dealership so I do not trust them to find the problem. I'm somewhat of a DIY'er so I'm hoping I can get some leads to help track down the culprit.
Old July 5th, 2008, 9:29 PM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default RE: 99 Tahoe starting problem; fuel or electrical

It definately sounds like and electrical problem.

There is a main body ground at the front of the vehicle behind the bumper, at the frame. I would start by checking that out. It is a very common problem and can cause all sorts or wierd issues. Pull the bolt off, clean up the 2 wires, and clean the frame really well, then put it back together.
The following users liked this post:
dt156840 (September 15th, 2021)