Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Advice for replacing G80 limted slip

Search this Thread

Old November 23rd, 2015, 4:24 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice for replacing G80 limted slip

I have a 99 two door tahoe 4x4 and i was told my spider gears are bad one day i made a right turn and heard a loud popping noise now when i turn i hear a popping noise ! Iv had the car parked for like two weeks because i haven't decided what im doing next !

Would it be possible to take spider gears out of another tahoe and put them in mine as a temporary fix until i upgrade to a better set up or i have also seen alot of used eaton posi and auburn units on ebay from different shops , dont have alot of cash to throw into it so looking for something cheap but reliable i dont do any off roading its my daily driver
Old November 23rd, 2015, 4:35 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

its possible to do that, however you will destroy the entire rear axle as they destroy each other because of wear patterns.

I think the fastest and best thing to do is search for a junk yard and buy a complete assembly.

It doesn't make sense to me that JUST your spider gears are worn.
Old November 23rd, 2015, 4:48 PM
CF Beginner

How difficult is it to swap them out ? Is there anything i should be worried about , I usually do all my work on my cars but iv never had to do any rear end swaps
Old November 23rd, 2015, 5:35 PM
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Jason Mitchell
How difficult is it to swap them out ? Is there anything i should be worried about , I usually do all my work on my cars but iv never had to do any rear end swaps

To me its easier than trying to replace gears.

All large bolts and a jack. of course you have to do brake lines but that's easy to me.
Old November 24th, 2015, 10:49 AM
Super Moderator

Just make sure you get the same ratio.
Old November 24th, 2015, 4:39 PM
CF Active Member

I just had my center section replaced on my 07 w/221k on it. I went with a Yukon Gear Limited slip unit in the same 342 gear as was stock. Price was around 1400 for labor and parts. Spider gears were okay in mine it was clutches that were gone. Could be what you have since the symptoms sound the same?