Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

AFM disable by Range

Old May 5th, 2017, 4:23 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I've been looking into the Range Device but also taking my 2007 Suburban to a Tune shop to have it shut off. My Suburban has been consuming oil since about 60k miles. Today it has about 158k miles on it. All in all the car still runs pretty good but just uses anywhere from a quart over 1000-2000 miles. It's driving me nuts. And I just recently had to have all the plugs and wires replaced because of a misfire related to the AFM cylinders in question. Anyway, I'm at the point where I'm going to see if either a device or tune with a disable will help on the consumption and then just drive the car into the ground. I contacted a tune shop and he said it would be $150 to turn the system off in the PCM and for $350 they'll also do a dyno tune on it. But then he tells me the next step up is to properly remove the AFM system, including the lifters, valve covers, and camshafts and other various items for $3300. Is this total overkill? I don't really care about performance personally, I just want it to quit consuming so much oil. Any thoughts on this? Are there other '"issues" that might arise if you just have the AFM system shut off (I don't know, transmission or something???). I'm really at a point where I'm trying to figure out if I should just cut bait and get a different vehicle and I can't swing a new Suburban as they're so expensive. And yes, I need the space with 4 kids.
Old January 24th, 2018, 5:36 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Question

'07 Suburban with 225k.
Since I bought the truck with 100k, I felt as though 1 quart every 2,500 miles was excessive consumption, but I just dealt with it. I was stumped at where the oil was going until I read about the AFM system and how it works.
Lately I've started to see some blue smoke at startup which is new. This would lead me to believe that the consumption is on the rise.
Reading this thread confirms that there is no significant downside to installing the Range device if the tradeoff is effectively reducing oil consumption.
Has anyone with higher mileage trucks seen a noticeable drop in consumption after installing the Range device? Hopefully my Burb hasn't suffered ring wear and I can avoid having to do the valve cover update.
Thanks,
JP
Old January 26th, 2018, 9:31 AM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

I've got 133k on my 07 Tahoe, I have not added the upgraded valve cover but I still use the Range device and so far have not had to add any oil between changes of ~6 to 7k. I have added a Moroso catch can that does catch about a 1/4 a quart between changes.
That all said and this statement is going to sound contradictory to the above but I do add oil occasionally between changes but it's never more than a quart, usually less than, and that's because I like to keep it a the full 6qt level.
Old January 27th, 2018, 5:51 PM
CF Beginner

So, a little update on mine. I took my 07 Suburban with about 165k at the time to a local tune shop here in Kansas City and had the AFM disabled and tuned, etc back in Julyish time frame. After it was done, I think I did end up adding oil a couple thousand miles in. Disclaimer: I usually let the sensor kick on and tell me to add oil but I thought I would check it just in case and my dipstick showed low so I added about a quart. Admittedly, I have not checked it since the last change and haven't had an indicator message to add oil. I've started using high mileage oil, as opposed to synthetic just to see if it makes any difference. I'm coming up on 3k miles and I'm planning have the oil changed (given the age of the vehicle, and the fact I'm going on a trip to CO, I'm shortening my change intervals even though I probably don't need to) at my mechanic while he does some other work so I'll see if I'm low or not then. Wouldn't be surprised if I'm about a quart low but just wanted to let this one ride and rely on the indicator. According to the tune shop, if the disablement didn't work they'd have to do new cams and valve covers, among other things to the tune of roughly $2k. Given the age of the vehicle, I think I'm ok adding a few quarts every 2k miles so long as I'm not have to tune up for fouled out plugs. Anyway, I'll keep folks posted after the oil change on how much I used.
Old January 27th, 2018, 5:53 PM
CF Beginner

This does sound about like mine. I'd be ok with this too.
Old January 28th, 2018, 6:21 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default '07 with 225k

Have a Range disabler coming in the mail. After reading several threads about disabling the AFM - even on a higher mile vehicle, I anticipate benefits to using the device. I haven't seen a single report of a downside aside from negligible reduction in mpg.
I know it won't cure a damaged engine, and fortunately that's not my case. My Suburban runs great, with no missing, valve clatter, etc. even with AFM still active. I'm probably going through a quart every 2k to 2,500 miles, so it's not as bad as some.
Doing the math in KC's example, if a $2,000 repair to an engine only resolves an oil consumption issue, I can't justify the cost trade-off:
$2,000 will get you 400 quarts of conventional oil at $5/quart. If the engine is consuming 1 quart every 1,000 miles, you'd have to put 400,000 miles on the engine to recoup a $2,000 repair to cure consumption. Even if you're adding full syn at $10/quart, that's still 200,000 that you'd have to put on the engine to recoup the cost of the repair.
Until the engine gets to the point where the vehicle is no longer reliable, or the degree of oil loss is profound, I'll continue to add oil when needed
Old January 28th, 2018, 9:55 PM
CF Beginner

my friend has a 2009 Silverado and his oil light came on and he had to add over four quarts of oil so yes we need sensors for low oil before they get to 4 quarts low!!!
Old January 28th, 2018, 9:59 PM
CF Beginner

I have a 2013 5.3 and I had to have the rear main seal replaced at 99k miles and in 6k miles have not lost a drop of oil and I have been thinking of did- abling the fuel man. and was wandering what yall thought about it. I had a 2005 Silverado without it and it got better mpg
Old September 26th, 2021, 11:14 AM
CF Beginner

I have the AMF issue that many have with fouling #1, #7 (worst), as many others. I have bought a Range disabler. After I have searching many forums it unclear what's next. I found a site with a link to a GM bulletin to soak the cylinders with 3-5oz of injector cleaner, to help clean out the cylinders. I've done that. Is there anything else to do to help prevent further damage or to clean it up? I don't have a shop to take the heads off and clean it properly.
Thank you