Chevrolet  Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums

Chevrolet Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/)
-   Tahoe & Suburban (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/tahoe-suburban-25/)
-   -   Air conditioner a/c I wanna cry (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/tahoe-suburban-25/air-conditioner-c-i-wanna-cry-60532/)

Romeo5k September 11th, 2013 10:57 PM

MDTahoe. I wouldnt lie. I had called Classic In houston and just spoke to a service rep. Told em Its warm In back and cool In front. First response was, It prolly just needs a can a freon, you probably are running low. ..Then says drop a can or so and see If It helps. So I called Classic In Beaumont because I only saw one valve at the time. So I wanted to know If front ac was separated. Maybe thats why front was cool and back was hot. Talked to a lady, forget her name but she Is service. she said that the low was probably for front and rear w a s prolly for rear. Too many prolly for me so I took houstons advice, sounded more realistiac In my head ( I am a noob)
Yes I was at 10ish psi and 0 on the high. But I droppped one can In there and got new reading. In that same post I posted where It put me, at normal stance. . I added the pic after I dropped one can. But truck was Idle and fan speed for front and rear was 4.
If you feel I still need to go get flushed and vaccummed, I shall do so. No prob. I think people do that for 100$ at a local shop. . Im sorry everyone.. I honestly didnt know better.
2008 burb LT

in2pro September 12th, 2013 6:26 AM

Romeo5k Don't be discouraged:)
That is the whole reason I applauded you, because A/C stuff can seems like and some insist on telling you, that only professionals should be doing it... I don't believe that... I think with a little correct knowledge and a will to want to do it for yourself, you can (as I said I am in the same boat with another vehicle and I want to know how to do it)

There should be a label on the cowl that says how much 134a to use... now I know we don't know exactly how empty the system is, but you may want to see what the charge is and try adding back a wee bit under that value to get the front AC working... I honestly do not know how the front and rear are separated so that may also be a place to start... It could be as simple as some control valve was not working correctly and the system charge was fine all a long...:o

As MDTAHOE stated the re-learn is for the door actuators only... I was approaching from the angle of lets start with basics of making sure everything is working and where its supposed to be. Your ride is too new to have developed too serious of a problem (my thinking)
You could also check that the rear AC connections that come up form under the body, behind the rear passenger tire are all in good shape and properly connected.. much like the front AC one line should be pretty warm, near hot and the other cold...

Romeo5k September 12th, 2013 8:12 AM

I THINK I LUCKED UP.
Maybe because i don't drive it during the week.
Anyway, this morning trying to go and get my coffee, i drove it to MC Donald. Started truck, turned ac on 60F in front fan on (4)... Rear 60F AUTO.. Front blew so cold, i turned the fans down, rear blew alright, not as cold as front, but it was cooled. Of course i cant be too too happy quite yet, because i have to see how it works in day time.
But for the most part.. NO NOISE!!!! None at all. I started recording for sound, and got NO SOUND. No growling or nothing.
For further education, i found out there is a pump to use to vacuum the a/c.. But ill have to wait till i find one at pawn shop or something. I don't feel like coughing 125$-300$ for something i may use 1nce a year, if that! But now i know, i could have probably just went to a shop and had them just vacuum it for me.
I would like to thank everyone that participated in this thread. I have learned alot, A WHOLE LOT.. Although i seriously doubt there are separate lines for front and rear. I think someone didn't know what they were talking about. As far as the guy who told me to put freon i don't blame him either. I blame that lil 9 dollar tool, and my dumbness.! I thought you are supposed to keep the trucked reved at 1500RPM at all times during recharge.. SMH!!. I know i messed up. I wont do it again! I should have been educating myself prior.
I still have some testing and checking to do, ill update here when i get better tests and checks.

73shark September 12th, 2013 10:07 AM

You use a vacuum pump to evacuate an empty system to remove moisture and to check for leaks.

Joe In NY September 12th, 2013 2:26 PM

I would not use a vac pump for checking leaks... That only introduces more contaminants... Thats what filling a system with 300 psi of nitrogen is for...

73shark September 12th, 2013 5:05 PM

I guess you are right if you have a big enough leak that will suck in contaminants . However if you have that big of a leak, you probably didn't reassemble the system properly. :eek:

Romeo5k September 16th, 2013 8:14 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Well I took it to the shop. These people I trust and have been dealing with for over 5 years. Before I went there, I washed the truck out. I used degreaser then soap and water under the hood to make sure everything was clean. Drove the truck about 20 miles to get there .
They did a sniff test, found nothing.. They used the glasses after and found some freon oil on the back of the compressor. He said its a possibility that the compressor has an emergency valve for those who like to over load it with freon. So it spits it out. And he think that's what I heard when I started my truck. That was a relief. Well they vacuumed, changed stems and recharged. A small tiny bit of freon was around the high side. If im not mistaken they put 2 3/4 pounds of freon.
They did say that the machine was reading 50-75psi or so more than wat it should

in2pro September 16th, 2013 9:28 AM

So you are good to go now right ?!:cool:

Romeo5k September 16th, 2013 4:50 PM

Originally Posted by in2pro (Post 257010)
So you are good to go now right ?!:cool:

Yup!!!!! Mayn dat truck blows SOOOOO COLD NOW!!!.. My GAWD!! :-)
Thank you everyone for all your assistance :-)

in2pro September 16th, 2013 8:54 PM

You sound like you might just be a little happy about it:D
Glad its working for you...:cool: