Chevrolet  Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums

Chevrolet Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/)
-   Tahoe & Suburban (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/tahoe-suburban-25/)
-   -   Automatic headlights problem (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/tahoe-suburban-25/automatic-headlights-problem-19390/)

genestoy December 7th, 2008 10:59 AM

Automatic headlights problem

Hi everybody,
I have a recent problem with my 07 Yukon and wanted to see if anyone else has had this problem and what they did to fix it. My Yukon stays in a garage so when backing out of the garage the headlights are always on and the dash and nav unit are always dimmed. It used to always change back to daylight mode in about 30 seconds in bright sunlight (plenty of that here in AZ) but recently it never changes even after twenty minutes of driving to the dealership to have it repaired. Of course they say there is nothing wrong with them. I did a search with google and found others that have had this same problem and they say it only occurs when parked in a dark area such as a garage and if left out in a parking lot or daylight area then they work just fine (of course no suggestions I found to correct it). Of course the dealers lot is in the daylight so they always worked there just fine by covering and un-covering the sensor. I tend to think it is the sensor in the dash but they say no as they have hooked up the meter to test the millivolts coming from it and all is well. Anybody have any suggestions?
Thanks

charlie pachanga December 7th, 2008 12:30 PM

RE: Automatic headlights problem

Sounds like they left the light sensor disconnected. It is the one in the center of the dash closest to the widshield.

genestoy December 7th, 2008 12:53 PM

ORIGINAL: charlie pachanga

Sounds like they left the light sensor disconnected. It is the one in the center of the dash closest to the widshield.
Nope, if you read the explanation I posted above they covered and uncovered (in front of me) the sensor and it performed as it should in the daylight.

charlie pachanga December 7th, 2008 10:14 PM

I did not see where you wrote that they tested the item in front of you .

in2pro December 8th, 2008 9:45 AM

I too park in the garage and notice that the IP lights stay dimmed awhile even after I pull out of the garage. It seems like it wants full sun and I drive down a shady streets (not the bad part of town but lots of trees :D) it seems that the sensor plays it safe and keeps the lights on until it gets full light for several minutes, and in the evening and the sun in low in the sky it will take even longer.

genestoy December 10th, 2008 10:08 PM

I did another test today. The lights only malfunction when the vehicle has been in the dark garage overnight and only the first time out. Yesterday I backed out and drove away without direct bright sunlight on the sensor but plenty bright outside about 9am and it never changed to daylight mode in 20 minutes time while driving around. Today I backed out and stopped the sensor in direct bright sunlight on the sensor and within 30 seconds it changed to daylight mode. Sure would like a GM tech to jump in here and let me know if he thinks that the sensor is the culprit which I think it might be? My dealer says it could also be the BCM not allowing the input from the sensor?

in2pro December 11th, 2008 7:36 AM

Gene,
That sounds almost identical to what mine does from time to time thou I wouldn't say it goes twenty minutes more maybe more like less then 10 ( I haven't actually timed it thou) or until it get strong direct sunlight. It works just fine every time after that.
I wonder if it just a matter of the sensor calibrating itself, making sure its not turning itself off in what could be street light brightness. Basically the sensor or BCM is playing it safe and keeping them on rather then turning them off under low light conditions.

EDIT:
I have an 07 Tahoe

genestoy December 11th, 2008 8:37 AM

Thanks in2pro. The reason I would like to get this fixed is mainly because the nav unit stays black also for night time vision and I would like it to change back to day light vision asap. Still think there is a problem. Funny, a friend of mine stopped by yesterday with his 08 Tahoe and out of the blue he asks if I have ever had a problem with my auto dimmers for the lights as his apparently is doing the same thing mine are.

in2pro December 11th, 2008 8:58 AM

Just had it happen this morning, pulled out of the garage at 8:24am the lights wereon and the IP dimmed, they didnt come on until 8:38am 14 minutes later when I was stopped at a light and the sensor was in direct sun light.
I honestly think its a safety feature, being winter also the sun is lower in the southern sky so it took a while before I got to a position where the sensor was in direct light.
I'd guess that it is adjustable via programmingbut finding someone techie / knowlegdeable at a dealership to take the time and re-program it will probably be a bear...

in2pro December 11th, 2008 9:00 AM

I do admit thou it is sometimes annoying because I will put my sunglasses on and the IP and radio lights are still dim and I can’t see the radio readout…
I could see where it dimming the navi would be a pain in the butt