Chevrolet  Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums

Chevrolet Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/)
-   Tahoe & Suburban (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/tahoe-suburban-25/)
-   -   Brake Controller Battery Hookup (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/tahoe-suburban-25/brake-controller-battery-hookup-29367/)

SabrToothSqrl January 13th, 2010 8:03 AM

Brake Controller Battery Hookup

I thought I read in the manual I have to connect a wire under the dash to enable the power to the factory brake controller?

If I have the factory brake controller in my 09 tahoe, do I still have to do that?

We put new axles on my boat trailer this winter, I haven't wired the trailer yet (just wanted to get the axles on, wiring + lights this spring) when its NOT 20 degrees outside...

Once I have the trailer all wired up, 7 pin, do I just connect it, or do I have to pop the hood and hook up that wire?

seems stupid GM wouldn't just connect that wire, what lawyer came up w/that?

thanks!

jeffbco January 13th, 2010 8:56 AM

Originally Posted by SabrToothSqrl (Post 126142)
I thought I read in the manual I have to connect a wire under the dash to enable the power to the factory brake controller?

If I have the factory brake controller in my 09 tahoe, do I still have to do that?

We put new axles on my boat trailer this winter, I haven't wired the trailer yet (just wanted to get the axles on, wiring + lights this spring) when its NOT 20 degrees outside...

Once I have the trailer all wired up, 7 pin, do I just connect it, or do I have to pop the hood and hook up that wire?

seems stupid GM wouldn't just connect that wire, what lawyer came up w/that?

thanks!

I've not seen anything about an additional wire hook-up. Once you plug in the 7 pin you should see some indication on the DIC that the trailer is hooked up and that the electrical brakes are active. I haven't tried it yet though.

73shark January 15th, 2010 5:23 PM

I've got the trailer brake controller but haven't read about it yet. I did notice a wire w/ a ring terminal on it taped to the underhood harness next to the fuse box. I did wonder about what it was for.

mudmaniac January 16th, 2010 5:22 AM

I didn't know they offered a factory controller. I would think that if it came with one it would be wired. I installed one on my 06 silverado and had to install the factory harness that was provided with the tow package, when I installed one in my 07 Escalade the wiring was there and it needed to be connected to the power supply under the hood.

SabrToothSqrl January 19th, 2010 8:04 AM

I will look when I get to it this summer i guess... I still need to wire the brakes on the trailer as well... thanks.

in2pro January 19th, 2010 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by 73shark (Post 126419)
I've got the trailer brake controller but haven't read about it yet. I did notice a wire w/ a ring terminal on it taped to the underhood harness next to the fuse box. I did wonder about what it was for.

I think that extra terminal is to get AUX 12v output to the rear harness...

SabrToothSqrl January 19th, 2010 11:04 AM

power

which is for charging the battery on the brake system, correct? which is required when towing a trailer w/electric brakes... so why do they leave the stupid thing unpluged?

in2pro January 19th, 2010 11:16 AM

One less thing to short out...