Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Brakes squealing

Search this Thread

Old July 6th, 2011, 3:39 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brakes squealing

I am having a prob with my brakes squealing. I have changed my brakes and turned my rotors. I have swapped out the pads twice already bc i thought the pads were defective. I'm using ceramic pads. It squeals when i'm driving btw 0 - 35 mph. If i'm braking the squealing gets louder or if i'm turning it gets a lil loud. I always work on my own stuff and I hate to keep wasting time and money on the wrong thing. I'm starting to think it might be the calipers. Any thoughts or ideas on what this might be?
Old July 6th, 2011, 3:48 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by baby luv
I am having a prob with my brakes squealing. I have changed my brakes and turned my rotors. I have swapped out the pads twice already bc i thought the pads were defective. I'm using ceramic pads. It squeals when i'm driving btw 0 - 35 mph. If i'm braking the squealing gets louder or if i'm turning it gets a lil loud. I always work on my own stuff and I hate to keep wasting time and money on the wrong thing. I'm starting to think it might be the calipers. Any thoughts or ideas on what this might be?
Have you sprayed the backside with anti-squeal before installing? I should add CRC makes a spray called disk brake quiet. You also might need anti sieze on the metal to metal contacts off the calipers.

Last edited by kevinkpk; July 6th, 2011 at 3:52 PM.
Old July 6th, 2011, 3:51 PM
CF Beginner

Oh, its a 2002 Tahoe
Old July 6th, 2011, 3:53 PM
CF Monarch

Oh, its a 2002 Tahoe
Dosen't matter.
Old July 6th, 2011, 3:54 PM
CF Beginner

I did use the anti-squeal on the backside, but i didn't know about the anti sieze. What does that do?
Old July 6th, 2011, 4:05 PM
CF Monarch

I did use the anti-squeal on the backside, but i didn't know about the anti sieze. What does that do?
First, is it a spray, and if so, did you let it get "tackey" before installing them? The anti seeze is a lubricant, and CRC makes it (not a CRC slaesman) apply that to ONLY the metal contact points on the caliper to cage metal contact points. My guess is either the pads backside needs more brake quiet or pads are old.
Old July 6th, 2011, 4:18 PM
CF Beginner

It was tacky before I put them on and I've changed them out 3 times in the last 3 months. Everytime i changed them, it immediately started squealing. The first time I didn't do the anti-squeal, but the last 2 times i did and i even turned the rotors both times the last 2 times i changed the brake pads. I will try the anti-sieze to see if that works though.
Old July 6th, 2011, 5:44 PM
CF Monarch

It was tacky before I put them on and I've changed them out 3 times in the last 3 months. Everytime i changed them, it immediately started squealing. The first time I didn't do the anti-squeal, but the last 2 times i did and i even turned the rotors both times the last 2 times i changed the brake pads. I will try the anti-sieze to see if that works though.
What do the backside of the pads look like after you sprayed them? I can't see the anti-seeze fixing this. Could be a caliper locking up.
Old July 6th, 2011, 7:31 PM
Administrator

Received 45 Likes on 45 Posts

make sure the wear indicator on the pad is not bent and contacting the rotor surface prematurely....
Old July 7th, 2011, 2:20 PM
CF Active Member

Have you checked the wheel bearings? Why do you think it is the brakes? Which brake do you think it is that squeals? Try putting it up on a jack stand and spin the tire by hand and see if you hear anything. Try non-ceramic pads.

Quick Reply: Brakes squealing