Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Tire Rip Off??

Search this Thread

Old July 11th, 2018, 4:43 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire Rip Off??

Unbeknownst to me, my wife took in our 2015 Suburban to get two new tires from Discount Tire about a month ago when i was out of town. (Her dad has gotten into her head about the need to replace tires often and every time she asks me about them they are still fine) I had not looked at these recently so I do not know the exact condition of the tires that were replaced. However, short story long, something stinks about this deal. The tires that were replaced were originally purchased from Discount 18 months and 27,677 miles ago. They were Bridgestone Duelers with an 80,000 mile warranty. There was no pro-rating done and as she such was charged full price for the new tires. Apparently the guy told her she needed an alignment but I don't buy that it was to the point where no pro-rated discount would be given after such a short time and mileage on those "bad" tires. Maybe the outside tread was worn more than the rest of the tire, but enough to void the tire warranty? What has been this group's experience with alignment and tire wear for Suburbans and trucks of 2015 year model?
Old July 12th, 2018, 10:25 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

sounds like the tires had toe wear...which is the biggest tire wear alignment angle. It can wear tires out much faster than 27 000miles. You should of had the alignment checked when the first set was put on. After 3 years, springs sag and change the ride height...which changes the toe setting. You did little to no rotations as it only effected the front tires. They treated you fairly and gave you good advice. get an alignment done or the new tires will wear out, be noisy just as bad as the first ones. Save $130 on the alignment but wreck $500 worth of tires. bad math
Old July 13th, 2018, 11:34 AM
CF Active Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default tire ripoff

Originally Posted by pcstango
Unbeknownst to me, my wife took in our 2015 Suburban to get two new tires from Discount Tire about a month ago when i was out of town. (Her dad has gotten into her head about the need to replace tires often and every time she asks me about them they are still fine) I had not looked at these recently so I do not know the exact condition of the tires that were replaced. However, short story long, something stinks about this deal. The tires that were replaced were originally purchased from Discount 18 months and 27,677 miles ago. They were Bridgestone Duelers with an 80,000 mile warranty. There was no pro-rating done and as she such was charged full price for the new tires. Apparently the guy told her she needed an alignment but I don't buy that it was to the point where no pro-rated discount would be given after such a short time and mileage on those "bad" tires. Maybe the outside tread was worn more than the rest of the tire, but enough to void the tire warranty? What has been this group's experience with alignment and tire wear for Suburbans and trucks of 2015 year model?
I have had only one alignment done on my 01 Suburban, and have never had uneven tire wear. But then again, I also get my tires from Discount and have had nothing but good service from them. Also, I faithfully have my tires rotated and balance there every 6000 miles. In addition, there are certain things that I don't get cheap on, and tennis shoes and tires are two of them. Since this is not a New Balance forum, I will just go into detail about my tires. I am on my third set of Michelins, and currently their LTX M/S2 tires. The first two sets lasted 70,000 miles and could have gone longer but I changed them due to winter setting in. As far as Discount Tire is concerned, get a load of this...I bought a used 2003 Camry with Yokohama tires that were installed by NTB. Since the warranty was not transferable I asked NTB if I could purchase a warranty. After being told no I went to Discount who for $10 per tire added a warranty to them. I hit something on the highway, blew a tire, brought it to Discount who honored the warranty. But they no longer carried that tire so they replace all four and with rebate included I spent $175. Great deal at a great dealership. One more note, if you have four wheel drive I hope your new front tires match the rear. If they don't replace the rears to match the front as a mismatch on 4 wheel drive vehicles can cause damage to the drivetrain.