Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

clunking 07 sub

Search this Thread

Old August 24th, 2012, 10:09 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clunking 07 sub

Dealer tech could not replicate a thunk that sounds like is coming from the rear end on my 07 burban. It's most noticeable when driving next to solid objects...parked cars, concrete wall, etc. When I drive over a fold in the concrete, I'm getting a thunk/clunk in the rear.

Suspension? Loose shock? Rear tailgate is about to fall off?
Old August 25th, 2012, 6:52 AM
Super Moderator

Received 511 Likes on 471 Posts

test drive with the tech as you know the conditons required to make the noise happen. When the noise occurs point it out.
Old August 26th, 2012, 2:53 PM
Administrator

Received 45 Likes on 45 Posts

Make sure the spare tire is firmly mounted, make sure you don't have a loose jack in the jack stowage area or any other items for that matter... do check the shocks they can slip off the rubber grommet or it can deteriorate...

Think like the clunk.. are you heavy and solid or light and tinny?
Old August 29th, 2012, 2:34 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> thatguywill,

Agreed, did the tech drive with you, like "tech2" suggested?

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old September 12th, 2012, 9:43 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not yet. It's a bit of a haul to get to the dealership from where I'm at. There was one right down the road, but, well, we know how most of those ended up.

Clunk is heavy and solid. At this point I suspect shock or rear sway bar (if it has one?).