Chevrolet  Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums

Chevrolet Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/)
-   Tahoe & Suburban (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/tahoe-suburban-25/)
-   -   Cup Holder (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/tahoe-suburban-25/cup-holder-7046/)

jlenkows May 6th, 2007 6:53 PM

Cup Holder

So I took the initiative to make the inside of my 07 'Hoe sparkle... I was cleaning out the accumulated dirt and goo (from soda) that was in the front cup holder and while I was cleaning, one of the little rubber 'fingers' disappeared back into the housing of the cup holder.

I tried to find a non-agressive way to open in up so I could retrieve and repair it, but no luck.

Does anyone know of a non-destructive way to get the housing open?? I'm sure that it won't be covered under warranty...

73shark May 6th, 2007 8:33 PM

RE: Cup Holder

If you are referring to the two-cup holder in the console, it is snapped in. Should just lift straight out with some resistance. It came be installed in either the front or rear half of the cavity.

engine2 May 6th, 2007 8:51 PM

Have you tried tweezers to pull the rubber back out?

I would use a needle/safety pin to stab the rubber piece while holding the cup holder upside down and then use tweezers to pull back out. Good luck.

jlenkows May 7th, 2007 12:54 PM

ORIGINAL: 73shark

If you are referring to the two-cup holder in the console, it is snapped in. Should just lift straight out with some resistance. It came be installed in either the front or rear half of the cavity.
Not the cup holder system... the little rubber fin within the cup holder fell inside the cup holder body.

Auburn May 7th, 2007 5:26 PM

I have one missing as well. I didn't know it would fall into the cup holder body. Thanks...

ZX1100F1 May 7th, 2007 7:29 PM

Actually, GM will cover this under warranty.

jlenkows May 7th, 2007 7:32 PM

ORIGINAL: ZX1100F1

Actually, GM will cover this under warranty.
No kidding.... Hopefully, they'll see it the same way that you/GM does...

Do you know of the cup holder assembly is easily disassembled?? I don't want to nickle and dime them on the warranty stuff - they've seen enough of me from the Avalanche problems.

ZX1100F1 May 7th, 2007 7:39 PM

The cup holder is not designed to come apart once it is snapped together during assembly.
You can see that the top part is a seperate piece and if you are real good you may be able to seperate the parts but it is not likely.

Just have them throw a new one in during your next visit, it all pays the same to the dealer.

andy4639 May 7th, 2007 10:42 PM

I bought a wood grain cup holder last week for my 07 Tahoe and my old one was like yours one of the rubber things had disappeared. So today I poped it apart and retrived it, guess what it want stay together now. With a little bit of glue it should be fine though if any body is interested.:D

racerad May 8th, 2007 12:36 AM

jlenkows, I had the same problem, crappy design, but I managed to fix it like new. If you find that it is NOT covered by your warranty, try this. First remove the cup holder unit from the center console, it pulls out pretty easily. Then remove the two circular rubber bases from the cup holder. The top and bottom plastic pieces of the cup holder unit are welded together on the inside in about 8 places. If you press in the sides of the unit, you will find that you can carefully slip a table knife between the two pieces at certain points. Then if you work the knife slowly round the perimeter, twisting gently as you go, the plastic welds will "pop" apart and finally the top piece can be removed. If you do this carefully, you should be able to get them apart without leaving any marks on the outside. I'm guessing this is how andy4639 separated his pieces also. Then push the rubber finger back through the slot from the inside, and glue the two plastic pieces of the cupholder back together. If you just glue a few spots around the perimeter, you can probably pop it apart again in the future. However, I glued mine all the way around, so it's a one-time fix for me ... good luck!